Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Problems reading SDHC cards onto 12" G4 Mac

Started by Paul Kay ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Problems reading SDHC cards onto 12" G4 Mac

9 posts
  1. I've posted elsewhere but if anyone knows the answer please DO let me know.

     

    I have had numerous problems with SD card readers and my 12" G4 1.5GHz Powerbook and whilst these have been solved by using an old reader I now want to use larger capacity SDHC cards. I have a 16GB Sandisk Ultra II SDHC card and a Sandisk Mobilemate SD+ reader (which states SDHC on it). Problem is that although the System Profiler will show the reader exists happily enough, the computer doesn't seem to mount the card and disk utility doesn't seem to find it either. According to everything I have read there should be no problem but...

     

    Any suggestions?

  2. What version of Mac OSX are you using?

    (all updates installed?)

     

    Your 12" G4 1.5GHz Powerbook (released 2005-Jan-31) has USB 2.0.

    But, the OS might not have the necessary driver for Sandisk Mobilemate SD+ reader. (the sandisk site says Mac OSX 10.1.2 or better)

     

    Have you tried connecting the camera to your Powerbook via USB?

     

    Take Care,

    ChrisS

  3. OS 10.4.11 - all updates installed.

     

    There are no drivers that I can install from Sandisk (unless they hide them very well).

     

    Yes but I can't see the SDHC card this way either.

     

    Any ideas?

  4. Try connecting the new card reader (no SD card in it) to your computer then plug the SD card in.

     

    If you know someone with 10.5.5 installed,

    try connecting your new card reader to their Mac and testing the 16GB card in it.

     

    I think, ~/System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext (version 3.1.5, 2008-feb-05 on 10.5.5) is the driver for USB input/output

    or ~/System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext (version 2.0.2, 2008-feb-21 on 10.5.5).

     

    Does your new card reader see cards smaller than 16GB?

    (i.e., 8GB, 4GB, etc.)

  5. I had the same problem Have now ordered a new SDHC card reader in the hope that 1) it finally arrives and 2) it works. In the meantime I have to download from the camera to iPhoto.

  6. Hi Chris

     

    Both the extensions exist but in previous versions.

     

    The computer recognises cards in all my readers up to 2GB but only the oldest reader will allow more than 1GB to download - trying to download 2GB with newer readers causes the computer to hang - and I have to switch it off as it won't force quit!

     

    This can't be a regular problem or it would be well documented I'm sure, but what exactly is causing the trouble is baffling me entirely. Surely 10.4.11 must be able to see an SDHC card or 2GB SD card?

  7. Problem solved!!!

     

    My reader - a Sandisk MobileeMate SD+ - clearly has problems if ANY other usb device is connected (including my standard Apple mouse!). By plugging directly this reader into the computer with nothing else connected it was recognised with the card and downloaded like greased lightening. Not sure of the root cause (data xfer or power requirement )but at least I can go on using my 12" Powerbook for travel - phew!

  8. It's power requirements Paul. In fact if you plug in your power outlet then use PCMCIA card, firewire, USB , wifi and processor with drive all at once, you'll see your battery actually drain.

  9. I suspect that you are right Drew - in fact thinking about it, I think I've had probems with ordinary SD cards and CF cards when running from battery alone. Hmmm.... before I buy another computer I think I'll take along a couple of card readers and try it out with them both plugged in - might be a useful test!

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.