What is the consensus for the best book for UW photo, preferably one that takes into account digital cameras?
Thanks,
JD
Read-only discussion
What is the consensus for the best book for UW photo, preferably one that takes into account digital cameras?
Thanks,
JD
My two favourite books are:
The Underwater Photographer by Martin Edge, 3rd Edtion (earlier editions don't cover digital)
Jim Church's Essential Guide to Composition By Jim Church
Until Alex gets into gear and writes one - go for the Martin Edge mentioned above.
Paul C
Martin's book, Jim's book, also the Ferrari's 'Art of Underwater Photography' and Michael Aw's first book (I felt his second fell by the wayside a little bit...). Take a look at the Drahful's selection too.
Has anyone seen this book before? And is it any good?
Adobe Photoshop for Underwater Photographers
Has anyone seen this book before? And is it any good?
Adobe Photoshop for Underwater Photographers
Its my Photoshop 'bible'. Don't wait a moment longer. Buy it!
HTH, Tim
How advanced is it Tim? I already have a fair knowledge base with photoshop, however, I'm sure there is a lot more I could learn.
Ryan.
The first book I bought was "Master Guide for Underwater Digital Photography" by Jack and Sue Drafahl.
I was just getting into photography and had no idea what I was looking for. I really didn't shoot land photos and really was unfamiliar with digital (let alone film). It has a lot of good info and shooting recommendations. On my first 3 trips, I took it on the plane and read through it again. If you are like me and do 2 trips a year, you typically forget a few things.
"The Art of Underwater Photography" by Andre and Antonella Ferrari is pretty decent, but by no means is the "best book" out there. It was my second book and what I enjoyed about it was all the photos with accompanying information such as camera, lens, housing, and strobes. Which, I personally liked because I see great photos and always wondered how they acheived the shots. For example, I was trying forever to get that above and below underwater shot with a wide angle lense. Now I know that is not possible unless you are shooting with a fisheye lense.
I just recently found this web site (I wish I had before) and there is some really good information. I just trying to get my head wrapped arounf dSLR since I'm currently shooting point and shoot right now. I have a lot to learn though.
Kirk
I have always been a big fan of "Successful Underwater Photography" by Brian Skerry and Howard Hall. I specifically like this book because instead of formally giving 'rules' for shooting it simply shows photos and narrates how the photographer approached and took the shot. I think this is a pretty unique and ultimately very helpful approach to improving a reader's shooting underwater.
cheers!
- MDP
Second the Edge and Church books. Also look at the Howard Hall books. The original and the latest one.
The original Howard Hall book (published in 1982) is a classic of modern literature. I read it so much I wore the words off the pages. To my mind Martin Edge's book (3rd edition) was especially powerful because it bridged the gap for me from Nikonos and film the the digital DSLR. I keep it on my desk along with Alex's books of images to see how this is supposed to be done.
Steve
i too have Martins 3rd edition and it is very good.
another thing to consider, if you want to learn more about photoshop is Doug Sloss dvd Underwater Photography Workshop. ( i think that is what it is called ) do a google and it will come up. I keep it in my laptop all the time. Obviously my images are not a good representation of what can be achieved from the dvd, but it covers a wide variety of things that can be done. His website has a few videos showing some of the content. i will try and find a link and post it below.
here it is
Steve i often look at my images, then at Alex's and ask why mine cant look like his too !!
Steve i often look at my images, then at Alex's and ask why mine cant look like his too !!
LOL, I know what you mean, I'm going down to Cayman with him and Jan. and try to figure it out. I'm hoping it has something to do with drinking the right rum, but I'm not confident that's it. You shouldn't be too hard on yourself, you have some great images up on your website. ![]()
Steve
I think that Martin Edge's 3rd Edition is the best book out there. But I would encourage anyone to purchase more than one book on underwater photography - because each author brings different ideas and opinions.
Alex
LOL, I know what you mean, I'm going down to Cayman with him and Jan. and try to figure it out. I'm hoping it has something to do with drinking the right rum, but I'm not confident that's it. You shouldn't be too hard on yourself, you have some great images up on your website.Steve
that will be a great trip. i hope the bad weather has long gone by then. talking of rum, Alex's images actually look very similar to mine when i have had too many......... ![]()
I would suggest to read as many books as possible. I kind of enjoy to search for old analogue books.
I personally really like the Ferrari's 'Art of Underwater Photography'. It is a quite nice "philosophical" touch to it and a lot of really nice pics.
/Erik
The book Dr. Mustard is yet to write and Martin Edge's 3rd edition (I left my copy on the Pelagian, dang it)...
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.