Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Nikon Colscan V and Vista

Started by Rui_Guerra ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikon Colscan V and Vista

8 posts
  1. Daer forum members,

     

    I've always used the Nikon Coolscan V scanner with Nikon Scan software without any problems, im a PC with OS Windows XP.

    I now want to use that sacnner in another computer running OS Windows Vista Bussiness (32 bits), but until now with no success!

     

    I've installing the Nikon Scan software available from Nikon's site, witch is supposed to work with Vista. No problems with the instalation. When I connected the scanner to the computer it automaticly instaled the required drivers. The problem shows when I start the Nikon Scan software: after several moments a message says "Nikon Scan was unuble to find any active devices".

     

    I've switched USB ports (no hub used), restarted the computer, switched the USB cable, but the problem stays the same! I'm running out of options...

    Just for a matte of confirmation, I've installed the software (for the XP) in a third computer running Windows XP and it worked without any problems, as expected.

     

    Anyone as some clue on what is going on? Any similar problems? Solutions?

     

    Thanks in advance for any help,

     

    Rui Guerra

  2. Daer forum members,

     

    I've always used the Nikon Coolscan V scanner with Nikon Scan software without any problems, im a PC with OS Windows XP.

    I now want to use that sacnner in another computer running OS Windows Vista Bussiness (32 bits), but until now with no success!

     

    I've installing the Nikon Scan software available from Nikon's site, witch is supposed to work with Vista. No problems with the instalation. When I connected the scanner to the computer it automaticly instaled the required drivers. The problem shows when I start the Nikon Scan software: after several moments a message says "Nikon Scan was unuble to find any active devices".

     

    I've switched USB ports (no hub used), restarted the computer, switched the USB cable, but the problem stays the same! I'm running out of options...

    Just for a matte of confirmation, I've installed the software (for the XP) in a third computer running Windows XP and it worked without any problems, as expected.

     

    Anyone as some clue on what is going on? Any similar problems? Solutions?

     

    Thanks in advance for any help,

     

    Rui Guerra

    The Nikon software is obviously very OS specific. I found that the Nikon scanning software did not work with a new Intel Mac so I had to keep an older Mac simply for use with that application.

  3. You can check out whether or not the scanner is installed and working properly in your device manager (I assume Vista has it but can't say for sure as I refuse to upgrade). If it is installed properly then the problem is probably with the Nikon software as John mentioned. If so then you'll probably want too look at some other software to drive your scanner. I used vuescan with my coolscan V and it worked very well. It has a trial version and if you decide you like, the license is fairly inexpensive.

     

    Cheers,

     

    Mike

  4. Dear friends,

     

    Yes the Device Manager see the Coolscan, no problem.

     

    The funny thing is, after I've checked the Device Manager, the Windows update and found everithyng OK, I've tried the Nikon Scan (once more...) and...miracle...it worked OK!!!

     

    Those funny things about computers...without any change at all, and by no reason, the problem disapeared!

     

    I just hope it lasts for long working without any further mysterious problem.

     

    Thanks for all the help.

     

    Regards,

     

    Rui Guerra

  5. Both Nikon and Microsoft were absolutely unhelpful when my scanner no longer worked. Vista 64 does not work with theCoolscan V scanner. I did find a way around it through Nikonians if anyone else is affected. It involves installing a trial of third party scanning software, and then deleting some files. It worked for me.

    Cheers,

    Marli

  6. Well, afterall it seams that my badluck is back again.

     

    After my once-in-a-lifetime successful use of Nikon Scan 4.0.3 (VIsta) that I've reported so happy, I have never been able to make it work again!

     

    So my problem is still the same I've posted in the beginning of this topic.

     

     

    Scubamarli speaks about a way around to fix the problem (although my Vista is 32 bits). Can you help me with the details, please?

     

     

    Cheers,

  7. I'm not sure about your Vista 32 system. Nikon did release an updated driver that is compatible, and it is available on Nikon's website. Here is what got me back up and running:

    http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.ph...=8303&page=

     

    Otherwise, there are scanning softwares out there for purchase (as is mentioned in the thread on the link) that are compatible as well.

     

    Good luck,

     

    Marli

  8. It seams that the problem reported (and its solution) by Marli concerns only problems related with Vista 64. That's not my case - I'm using Vista 32.

     

    Anyway, In the past few days I've done every kind of tests and the results are:

     

    1 - The Device Manager in the Control Panel always shwos the Nikon Coolscan V ED without any problems (I can even connect and disconnect it and the Device Manager is updated right away. So, Iguess this discarts any problems with USB ports or cables or drivers, right?

     

    2 - I've instaled the VueScan also and the results are the same as with Nikon Scan 4.0.3, that is, whem one waorks, the other also works; and when one doesn't, the other doesn't work also. So I gues the problem is not with the scanning software, right?

     

    3 - Here is the "funny" part: sometimes the software detects the scanner and everything works ok and sometimes just don't! I've tried every kind of order in conecting scanner and than the computer or first the computer and it seams that it makes no diferrence (sometimes it works if I connect first the scanner and sometimes it works if I connect first the PC). Conclusions?

     

    The BIG problem is that maybe in 10 times I may be able to run the scanner 1 or 2 times, if I get luck. If I don't have that "luck" tyhe scanner never is detected by VueScan ou Nikon Scan 4.0.3.

     

    Anyone have some clue?

     

    Thanks to everyone,

     

    Rui Guerra

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.