Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Hawaii Slug

Started by jkane ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Hawaii Slug

5 posts
  1. Does anybody know what this slug is, or have you seen a similar one before? This one is about an inch long and was in a cave at 80 ft off the Big Island. Hawaii nudibranch experts are unsure, but are starting to suspect it may be a color form of Phyllidia exquisita.

     

    Thanks

     

    Jerry

     

    post-6480-1222222809.jpg

  2. Hi,

    I just photographed the same one in Bunaken Marine Park. Experts have agreed to disagree. Bill Rudman thinks it's P. exquisita, whilst another expert feels it's P. willani. Here's the opinion of Dr. Rudman:

    http://www.seaslugforum.net/display.cfm?id=21800

     

    Cheers,

    Marli

  3. Thanks a lot Marli. Yours looks quite similar. I just sent my photo to the Sea Slug Forum as well.

     

    Aloha,

    Jerry

  4. On a second look, yours is a lot more flattened, but they do tend to change shape. Bill is of the opinion that many of these , as I call them, "lumpy bumpies", are all colour forms of Phyllidia ocellata.

     

    Cheers,

    Marli

  5. Nice find jerry!! I've never seen anything like this!

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.