Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

tip - tetra 3030 wide angle lens compatibility

Started by tdyes ·

  • 1Posts
  • 1Replies

Read-only discussion

tip - tetra 3030 wide angle lens compatibility

1 posts
  1. Hello all,

     

    just thought I'd share this.

    I bought a tetra a couple of years ago for my olympus 3030, and bought the wide angle lens (not wetmate) as well. No problems.

    Then a year ago I upgraded to the 4040. L&M told me the 4040 would not work with the w/a lens but didn't say exactly why. Anyhow I tried out the w/a lens with the 4040 and had no problem, just keep the camera in macro mode for autofocus to work well.

     

    Then on a recent trip, turning the camera on when over 10 ft deep, the lens would extend, retract, and shutdown. But at the surface it would extend OK and continue to work at depth as long as I didn't turn it off/on at depth.

    When I got home I measured the 4040 lens barrel 1mm longer than the 3030. Clearance to the back of the wide/angle lens is so tight that the extra squeeze at depth was causing the barrel to hit the glass which the camera senses as an error, retracts and shuts down.

     

    Most recently the problem occured topside before a dive. I very slightly shimmed the 4 clear plastic posts that the front of the camera lie against in the housing, using 2 layers of thin tape from fingertip bandaids. This did the trick and I had no problem on the next dive, only to 40ft though.

    Bear in mind that such shimming may reduce the effectiveness of the o-ring seal, but what the heck, I want the wide angle shots!

     

    - Tim

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.