Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

How to get this black background?

Started by heikokresslein ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

How to get this black background?

6 posts
  1. Many Pics I´ve seen have a really black background. I don´t think that they all where taken at night, aren´t they? I alway use the automatik funktion with my Olympus 4040, what do i have to do to make such pics?

     

    Thanks, Heiko

     

    image

     

    Wanna be BIG soon :)

     

    [Edited on 2-5-2002 by heikokresslein]

  2. Hi there,

     

    Set a fast shutter speed so that the only light coming to the CCD is from the flash. The flash illuminates stuff that is close and leaves a black background. Believe it or not, with a digicam, you can sync the flash with shutter speeds of 1/500 or even 1/1000!!!!!

     

    Personally, I find a dark blue background to be MUCH more appealing. Kind of like my NikV shots.

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. High shutter speed and open water behind the subject.

    The high shutter speed cuts out the natural light,

    and if there's nothing behind the subject to reflect

    the strobe, you'll get a black background.

     

    Shoot on manual mode and set the shutter to the

    highest for your camera. Also close down the aperture

    and turn up the strobe power as much as you can for

    a proper exposure of the subject.

     

    By the way, this will also cut down the natural (blue)

    light. If you think your subject is coming out too blue,

    this will help.

     

    Herb

  4. Hi James,

     

    You beat me to the answer. Looks like I'll have to learn

    to type faster :)

     

    Herb

  5. Heh.

     

    Boring day at work here...:)

     

    James

  6. Heiko, I will add to all the above that I dont think there is a lot you can do to make the image you posted have a black background.

     

    As Herbko added earlier, you have to have open water behind your subject. I think, that in the image you attached, the background might be a bit to close to the main subject to get a black background. But a superfast shutter speed woill at least darken it. :)

     

    Try a high shutter speed and a closed down apeture compination. the smallest opening (biggest number) you can get and still get flash exposure correct. You will get the benefit of greater depth of field and a shallower "exposed" scene.

     

    Lovely thing about digital, you can take your camera underwater and practice a whole dive, try different setting and see how far you can venture from your subject before you lose the flash exposure.

     

    Happy Diving!

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.