Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Asian worms

Started by FlyingKiwi ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Asian worms

7 posts
  1. Still trying to track down a few worm IDs from the last couple of trips, any help even to the family level would be appreciated.

     

    (1) Flatworm from Racha Noi in Thailand:

     

    ThaiFlatworm08.jpg

     

     

    All the rest of the photos are from Lembeh Strait:

     

    (2) nocturnal bristle worm:

     

    IMG_4061.JPG

     

     

    (3) nocturnal worm:

     

    IMG_4571.JPG

     

     

    (4) rather a vicious looking critter, IIRC it was active at dusk:

     

    IMG_7387.JPG

     

     

    (5) Is this the feather duster worm Protula magnifica?

     

    ProtulaMagnifica.jpg

     

     

    TIA,

     

    Richard.

  2. The first flatworm is Thysanozoom sp. Flatworms don't have all the names yet!

     

    Great pictures Richard!

     

    hoi 10nus

    Edited by 10nus
  3. The feather duster worm is probably from the family Sabellidae and is the Bispirra sp.

    I found these worms also in de Philippines.

    Edited by 10nus
  4. Hi there -

    The first is in either genus Acanthozoon or Thysanozoon. There's a whole suite of species with this general appearance and it's hard to tell which is which.

    Second is a fireworm in the genus Chloeia.

    Third I'm not sure about but the reticulated pattern & shiny skin make me think it's a sipunculid worm.

    Fourth is a polychaete, family Sabellariidae. Someone once sent me one of these which I passed on to a specialist. He thought it was a new genus but others feel it belongs to the genus Lydgamis. The two appendages are soft feeding structures fringed with filaments which capture food particles from the water.

    Fifth is usually identified as Protula magnifica in the guide books.

  5. Thanks, folks!

     

    Sorry for my belated reply.

     

    Richard.

  6. the bristle worm is beautiful...

     

    I saw some specimens similar to #4 in Anilao, let me see if I have some photos.. it was the first time I had seen a worm like that.

  7. On the bristle worm - I saw one a couple years ago also in Lembeh and my best guess was Chloeia flava. Here's another perspective....

    post-6480-1229663075.jpg

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.