Hey Gang,
I have a question for those that are familiar with the Metadata for .JPG vs. RAW outputs. I have yet to print with RAW or converted RAW to JPG, but noticed some Metadata differences that raise some questions for me.... Take a look at the following Metadata of a particular photo that was captured with both .JPG and .CR2 (RAW);
METADATA (from Adobe Bridge)
.JPG (output)
File Size; ~4.5M
Dimensions; 3888x2592
Dimensions (in inches); 54.0"x36.0"
Resolution; 72ppi
Bit Depth; 8
Color; RGB
Profile; SRGB
.CR2 (RAW output)
File Size; ~13.6M
Dimensions; 3888x2592
Dimensions (in inches); 16.2"x10.8"
Resolution; no data
Bit Depth; 16
Color; no data
Profile; no data
.JPG (converted RAW)
File Size; ~6.9M
Dimensions; 3888x2592
Dimensions (in inches); 16.2"x10.8"
Resolution; 240ppi
Bit Depth; 8
Color; RGB
Profile; Adobe RGB
The question is, "At full print size do I have the same print resolution quality with .JPG vs. CR2?" Above, notice that the "Dimensions" Metadata are the same throughout for .JPG, CR2, and converted CR2, etc.. However, notice the "Dimensions (in inches)" for .JPG vs. CR2, there is a huge size difference?! The CR2 output is roughly 1/3 the size of the .JPG output.... What does this mean? Without knowing any better I would interpret this data to mean my print max for the .JPG file vs. the CR2 file is 3x bigger, or as the data says the picture size max for the JPG is 54"x36" vs. the CR2 of 16.2"x10.8"....
Can any of you please explain what the data really means. Also, the "Bit Depth" Metadata, I'm assuming the 8 bit vs. 16 bit is the JPG compression vs. uncompressed RAW... Same thing with the "Resolution" the 72ppi vs. 240ppi...
Thanks
Derek...