Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Cp5000 longer life batteries

Started by yahsemtough ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Cp5000 longer life batteries

5 posts
  1. I noticed on EBAY some people selling 800MAH batteries verse the 450MAH batteries that come with the CP5000.

     

    Has anyone tried these?

     

    Will they potentially run too hot in a housing?

     

    I do note they are not Nikon Batteries.

  2. I work in the tlecom industry (cell phones) so I know a bit about LiIon batteries.

     

    If the mah ratings are true (after market batteries are notorious for "optimistic" ratings) the camera should work perfectly and have longer "life". Electronic circuits (of this type) draw only the current they need, so there is no worry of additional heat or damage to the camera. If fact, Nikon actually makes a higher capacity pack for the 5000, but it's in the form of a vertical grip so it won't fit in u/w housings.

     

    There may be concern with the charger, but probably not. Most LiIon chargers are constant voltage / contant current, which would handle the larger battery with no problem. It would just take longer to reach it's peak charge.

  3. ...and I think the EN-EL1 battery that came with the camera is 650mah, not 450mah.

  4. I use Lenmar 800 mah batteries with no problems.............

     

    Usually change after each dive, but have gone for two dives when I don't shoot very much

     

    Karl

  5. I just did a test with the EN-EL1 batteries for my CP 5000. I have two batteries, one is rated at 650mAh and the other is 680mAh, both are Nikon brand. I charged them in the Nikon charger (MH-53) to make sure they have a full charge then I ran them through my Maha C777Plus charger/analyzer to see what the rating is for each battery. The 650mAh analyzed at 682mAh and the 680mAh analyzed at 734mAh. Also one thing I've heard is that the Nikon chargers don't do a 100% charge, they do about 95%. So I recharged them in the Nikon charger and when the charger said it was done I put it into the Maha charger. The 650mAh charged another 86mAh and the 680mAh charged an addtional 66mAh (roughly 10%). I am curious if anyone else has analyzed the 800mAh that are out there to see if they really have more juice.

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.