I don't think there has been too much in the media about this but we took a direct hit from Hurricean Omar. When it hit us it was Category 3. Here at the resort where I am the IT manager we recorded 105 MPH sustained winds and 140 mph gusts. OUr resort survived the storm very well, due to the extrordinary resources we have and we are back in business (we never went down), but at home it is an entirely different story. One of my apartments is now a "2 swimmingpools, 1 bath" apartment and the other house where I actually live... well... it has a massive tree sitting on the roof and trees in the years and driveway and I am trying to round up some guys with chainsaws to at least clear a path so I can park my truck in there and somehow get to the door of the house to get in. Amazingly my sailboat boat that was riding the hurricane in the water is intact and happily afloat. This is thanks to me having the most amazing mooring system in the world. However, I am very grateful because no mooring system protects agains other people boats landing on top of yours in a storm. Sadly many of my friends now have wrecks rather than boats. I am still here at the resort working (since 8am Wednesday morning) and really tired, but I am hoping to get home today at some point at least to arrange some tree clearing. As far as I know, noone was killed or seriously hurt - well except my friend who fell of the roof and cut his arm with a machette and is now n the hospital being sowed up. The good thing about this hurriocane was that it oved forward so fast so it wasn't sitting upon us for too long. It was intense tho and it really is impossible to describe the brutal forces and pressure, the noise and the insane wind and rain unless you live thru them. This is the fourth hurricane I have gone thru now. Every hurricane experience is different, but they are all very humbling, especially living on an island where you do not have the option of "getting out of the way". You just do your best to secure you home and business and you work like crazy to keep everything together and then work like crazy to put your property and life back together. Thats the price you pay for living in paradise and it is still well worth it!
- 5Posts
- 5Replies
Read-only discussion
Survived Hurricane Omar
-
-
Great to hear your OK Marjo. I've been watching the weather and wondering about you and your island. Thanks for taking the time to fill us in. I'm sure you have your hands full. Great that your boat made it! Keep smiling, the sun will come up tomorrow. Anything any of us can do to help?
Steve
-
We called Julie's mother last night (she lives on St Croix as well). She's fine. No damage to the house, very few problems in the yard. But then again, her house survived Hugo. I dont know yet what the status is of the house we usually rent there. Owner hasnt mailed me back.
-
Glad you at least are in one piece; as you know it takes a while to clean up the mess.
Good thing that the resort is in good shape and I trust the job and income continue uninterrupted. I'm with Steve if we can help in some way.
-
Great to hear you made it through OK Marjo. Best of luck with the cleanup and recovery.
James