Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Please help ID these Pygmy Seahorses

Started by Snaphappy ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Please help ID these Pygmy Seahorses

6 posts
  1. Hi everyone,

    I just returned from Indonesia and had my first-ever chance at photographing pygmy seahorses. Thanks to some help from the guides at the Lembeh Resort, I was able to get these two shots which I'm reasonably happy with.

     

     

    pygmy_seahorse4_edited_resized.jpg

     

     

    pygmy_seahorse3_edited_resized.jpg

     

     

    I'm unsure as to the exact species of each of these seahorses. Hippocampus denise or the yellow variety of Hippocampus bargibanti? Just how does one distinguish between the two?

    Thanks in advance for your help. :) Robyn

  2. The first one is H. bargibanti, the second is the bumpy form of H. denise according to Roberto Sozzani - see http://www.robertosozzani.it/Denise/contdeniseEn.html The differences I see include the shape of the head, the curve of the "neck", the circles around the eyes & the bumps (or lack of) above the eyes, the texture of the skin (usually), and the type of gorgonian they associate with.

  3. The first one is H. bargibanti, the second is the bumpy form of H. denise according to Roberto Sozzani - see http://www.robertosozzani.it/Denise/contdeniseEn.html The differences I see include the shape of the head, the curve of the "neck", the circles around the eyes & the bumps (or lack of) above the eyes, the texture of the skin (usually), and the type of gorgonian they associate with.

     

     

    Thanks Leslie...I really appreciate this info! Robyn

  4. Wow, they are both really great. Love the first one, Congrats on such a great shot! Scott

  5. Fantastic shots, Robyn! Anne

  6. Great shots Robyn! I was last month in the Philippines but didn't get a good picture of this seahorse.

    Hope to find also answers on some of my pictures!

     

    greetz

    Tineke (10nus)

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.