Hi Guys,
Thanks for the replies, and that chart you gave us Gudge is one of the 'gems' that is usually hidden from view in cyberspace.
Here is the reply that I got from Sigma in the USA, and I would like to publicly thank Desiree Gaige for her response to my questions.
And once again I would like to publicly speak out about the bloody apathy of Oz dealer networks. In this case C.R.Kennedy, who are the Oz
distributors of Sigma, are bloody pathetic.
Anyway, back to team America and Desiree:
Thank you for your interest in Sigma products.
The lens is not internal zoom type.
Here are measurements.
For Canon
18mm position ... 85mm
50mm position ... 111mm
For Nikon
18mm position ... 82.5mm
50mm position ... 107.5mm
Does not include bayonet
I have been looking at the 18-50 F2.8 HSM as a mid range zoom/macro lens. On my D70S it looks like it will work at around the 30-75mm range that will focus down onto the front port (nearly) and before I forget, this lens is to be used for macro and NOT wide-angle and will therefore be behind a flat port which will also give me a 'tad' more magnification. I'm not familiar with the mathematics of the extra magnification from the flat port verses the dome port, but if some-one would like to chime in, I'd be very happy for my own information.
My next step will be to add a Kenko 1.4 T/C to the set-up and give the 18-50 a bit more grunt and into the 45-112 zoom range and again with a 'tad' more from the flat port.
This will take the fixed F2.8 to a fixed F4 and this will result in a lens that is still 'faster' than the 17-70mm Sigma.
My only problem now will be to find a zoom gear that will fit the 18-50 and be long enough to take in the 1.4 T/C as well? Anyone got any ideas on that front for me?
Bruce...