Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Backing up an Epson P-2000

Started by Timmoranuk ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Backing up an Epson P-2000

8 posts
  1. So I have an Epson P-2000, which I am presently upgrading from a 40gb to a 80gb drive (when I successfully clone the OS, but that's another story...). I purchased the P-2000 so that I don't have to travel with a laptop which is of course the logical way to backup a photo viewer and storage device. But if I have to use a laptop to backup the Epson, why take the Epson in the first place...

     

    So I'm thinking an external hard drive (or similar) like a 2.5" in an enclosure which the Epson may (?) recongnise as a very large CF card if I can use the CF card slot as an interface. What I need is a CF card adaptor which will allow that interface.

     

    Maybe a few 32gb CF's will be the best and most elegant portable backup media, but they are still very expensive.

     

    Chew the fat with me and shape and critisise my thinking please...

  2. I use a 80 GB Digital Foci Photosafe as a secondary backup to my P-5000. They are relatively cheap ($100 for the unit I have) and are very compact. They dont have a viewing screen though- all you get on their screen is an indication of how much memory has been used and is left as well as how far along your backup is going.

  3. Can't do it with a 2000. You need a device that is OTG ??. The P5000 and the Jobo have this capacity. Only way to do it with a 2000 is with a laptop.

     

    Remember, it doesn't have to be YOUR laptop. Every resort and boat I've been on in the last few years has a laptop you can borrow.

    Edited by davephdv
  4. Mmm. Thanks Dave. It seems as though the elegant solution for backing up a 2000 is a laptop.

     

    Do you know whether the 5000's (or 7000's) USB power output will support an external drive, like a 2.5" 7200 rpm in an enclosure? Maybe I'll pass on my 2000 to my son and acquire another new toy... :)

  5. No, I bought a Jobo after the HD issue with the 2000 turned mine into an expensive paper weight.

     

    With a Jobo the external HD has to have it's own power source for the Jobo to see it.

  6. With a Jobo the external HD has to have it's own power source for the Jobo to see it.
    I've been using a LaCie portable HD to back up my Jobo as you can get an external power source for this as an optional extra. On my trip to Wakatobi a couple of weeks ago I also started backing the Jobo up to my 80GB Ipod classic. Having its own battery the Ipod did not require an external power source and worked great, one less charger and cable to carry on trips is always good.
    Edited by Gudge
  7. Always more leads, power adaptors, chargers, power packs. Bahh!

     

    Another way maybe...

     

    Would a P-6000 or 7000 recongnise a P-2000 as an external HD? If so, that would give my upgraded 2000 (40gb to 80gb HD) a new lease of life and would be the perfect redundant storeage.

  8. Hey Tim!

     

    You seem to be having no end of fun with that Epson....... get a MacBook, mate :bottled: it'll probably be cheaper in the long run.

    Edited by TimG
Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.