Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

oseanics at elphinstone

Started by stewsmith ·

  • 18Posts
  • 18Replies

Read-only discussion

oseanics at elphinstone

18 posts
  1. here a couple of minutes of sharky footage from last week. no music yet, just video. the edited version will be along soooooon.

     

  2. That is awesome Stew, i like the way the first shark is intent on having a nibble, are the sharks resident there all year round?

  3. Very cool Stew. Yeah, that one guy was quite frisky. Was he checking out the camera / strobes? I'm hoping to see some of these guys up close on the WP trip in May.

  4. Nice action Stew.

     

    I really hope that we get some good encounters next week at Elphinstone.

     

    Tristan, you can see them year round - but autumn is usually best. October/November is usually peak season where sightings are pretty reliable.

     

    Alex

  5. Interesting stuff Stew. They looked quite curious/hungry at times! :uwphotog:

    I got a last-minute place on Alex's trip, so also hoping we get some action like yours. If we do I can see I might have the usual stills/video dilemma.

     

    Ferg

  6. you will have to go out in the blue to get them to be really curious. if you can get away from the rest of the group then you stand a much better chance of them coming in really close from all directions. my friend who has a dive operation in Egypt believes that they are there all year but they are just further off of the reef until october/november.

     

    places left on Alexs trip......i didnt know that i would have stayed out there for another few weeks.

     

    have fun, dive safe.

     

    stew

  7. The spaces only came up last minute with a couple of drop-outs.

     

    Ferg, if the Oceanics are at Elphinstone reliably then we'll dedicate plenty of time on them. So you should have a good chance to shoot both systems.

     

    Alex

  8. places left on Alexs trip......i didnt know that i would have stayed out there for another few weeks.

     

    I saw the vacancy and I was about to book the trip when a company I work for said they wanted me for the week... in South Korea!!!!!!, Absolutely gutted!! Now i get to freeze in Korea instead of being eaten by sharks :uwphotog:. Hope you have a great time Alex, and I look forward to seeing the shots

  9. I hope that we get the sharks. I am normally very lucky with marine life encounter (I think it is because I don't eat it), but so far I have been jinxed with Oceanics!

     

    Maybe I'll be sitting out the dives so everyone else gets to see them. :uwphotog:

     

    Alex

  10. I hope that we get the sharks. I am normally very lucky with marine life encounter (I think it is because I don't eat it), but so far I have been jinxed with Oceanics!

     

    Maybe I'll be sitting out the dives so everyone else gets to see them. :uwphotog:

     

    Alex

     

    if i were you Alex, I would tell the others to go with the guide to the lovely walls with their macro set ups. and then you sneakily drift into the blue on your own with a nice big fisheye.... I am sure they wont even notice your gone.....

  11. Verrrr nice Stew... Pity about the other divers getting in the frame :uwphotog:

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  12. nice I like particularly the end went one fish is chasing another one around the shark tail

     

    Edited by Massachusetts
  13. Very cool, you can just look at those pectoral fins and tell he wanted a taste. I'm going there in Oct. 2009 if anyone would like to join me. I will be on the Emperor Elite and Elphinstone is definitely on the dive itinerary.

    Steve

  14. Very nice

    I have my elphinstone video here... but no sharks :uwphotog:

     

    http://www.vimeo.com/1064734

    Edited by Joel Machado
  15. Really, really cool footage. Definitely an inspiration to make it to the Red Sea ASAP (I keep getting lured back to the South Pacific and the Indo-Pacific).

  16. Egypt is well worth the time it takes for you guys that are in the U.S. I know that us Brits have been diving there for a good few years now, but I dont think that it has ever caught on with you guys across the pond.

    The Red Sea is a massive place with a very varied kind of diving. The viz is probably the best I have dived in. Good water temp too. ( most of the year )

     

    Dont just think about it, do it, book it up !!!!!

  17. Nice stuff Stew :uwphotog:

     

    Those Oceanics at Elphinstone can get pretty het up though. I know of at least one person who has been bitten by them, although admittedly she claims that she's had worse injuries from her garden when pruning her roses! Dive boats used to feed them to keep them near the boats, although I'm not sure if this still happens. I do get the feeling though that bites are not that uncommon, just that they go unreported.

     

    Cheers, Simon

  18. Nice stuff Stew :P

     

    Those Oceanics at Elphinstone can get pretty het up though. I know of at least one person who has been bitten by them, although admittedly she claims that she's had worse injuries from her garden when pruning her roses! Dive boats used to feed them to keep them near the boats, although I'm not sure if this still happens. I do get the feeling though that bites are not that uncommon, just that they go unreported.

     

    Cheers, Simon

     

     

    one of them in particular was, he would keep going deep and then coming at us from below. I dont think that they bite, more like nibble.... :uwphotog:

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.