Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Adobe Licenses

Started by jeremypayne ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Adobe Licenses

8 posts
  1. I am running a fully-licensed version of Lightroom 2.x ... in fact, I've installed it on two machines.

     

    I'm about to get a new machine ... so I spoke to the folks at Adobe, and they said that before I would be able to install LR on the new machine, I'd not only have to un-install it from one of my two machine, I would have to un-install it with the physical DVD in the machine while I do it.

     

    Is that for real? It's a pain in the arse as I don't have the DVD (installed via download) ...

     

    Why is that? Anyone understand how this works?

     

    Thanks!

  2. Sounds like a load of crap to me. There is no need to have the physical media to uninstall any software.

     

    I would say just install it on the new machine with your existing license key and see if it works. Adobe may limit you on how many unique machines you install Lightroom based on the type of license you have. If the installer does try to contact an Adobe license server through your internet connection, and it gives you problems, just unplug your connection when you run the installer. It should then either work, or give you an option to call Adobe to activate the license.

  3. I've dealt with this in both PS & lightroom. The software does contact the hive to authorize itself on your physical machine. When you run the uninstall, it frees up 1 licence # so you can reinstall it on another machine. Adobe is pretty reasonable when you call them and tell them that your computer blew up so you can't uninstall, re-install or even turn the damned thing on. That just happened to me with my traveling Macbook pro. But it is a pain...

  4. If you go to the "help" drop-down menu, you should have an option to deactivate. This will allow you to uninstall from one machine and reinstall on another without using the physical dvd for uninstall.

     

    This is based on what is available with PS and other Adobe components

  5. I've just gone through a right song and dance with Adobe moving LR, CS2 and PSE6 (don't ask) from my PC to a Mac. I even had to send them copies of my passport to show that I was legally resident in Australia where I bought PSE6. I had to sign documents confirming I would remove the software from my PC and not sell or pass the software to anyone else. Adobe then sent me new licenses for the Mac versions, and for CS2 and PSE6, new discs. The whole process took about 4 weeks and involved countless phone calls to very pleasant customers service people in Holland.

     

    So..... yeah, I wouldn't be at all surprised if switching from one PC to another is not straight forward!

  6. I've just gone through a right song and dance with Adobe moving LR, CS2 and PSE6 (don't ask) from my PC to a Mac. I even had to send them copies of my passport to show that I was legally resident in Australia where I bought PSE6. I had to sign documents confirming I would remove the software from my PC and not sell or pass the software to anyone else. Adobe then sent me new licenses for the Mac versions, and for CS2 and PSE6, new discs. The whole process took about 4 weeks and involved countless phone calls to very pleasant customers service people in Holland.

     

    So..... yeah, I wouldn't be at all surprised if switching from one PC to another is not straight forward!

    Hope this isn't too painful ... the good news is Adobe tells me my LR 2.x license is valid for a 64-bit install (I think I'm upgrading to 64-bit Vista with the new machine).

  7. Hope this isn't too painful ... the good news is Adobe tells me my LR 2.x license is valid for a 64-bit install (I think I'm upgrading to 64-bit Vista with the new machine).

     

     

    If there is anyway to deauthorize the older slightly wounded computer somehow, it would help alleviate some of the pain...

  8. If there is anyway to deauthorize the older slightly wounded computer somehow, it would help alleviate some of the pain...

    My hope was that I could keep clone that disk to an external and keep LR & CS installed on that as well as the new machine ... and I guess I can do that if I de-authorize my desktop at the office ... which would mean no more photo editing at the office :-(

     

    I ordered the new Lenovo w500 today with 4GB of RAM and 64-bit Vista.

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.