Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Crab ID?

Started by laz217 ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Crab ID?

6 posts
  1. Can't seem to find an id for this two inch crab I found around Florida waters. It has a pair of arms with fan-like sifters, which it (apparently) uses to catch plankton. There's a Pacific species that does the same (the name escapes me now). First time I see something similar in Atlantic waters. It looks a bit like Petrolisthes galathinus but the coloration is completely different than what is in the Creature ID book. Anyone have any ideas?

     

    081025-182839-0033.jpg

  2. No idea on the species, but that's one colorful crab! Great picture.

  3. Can't seem to find an id for this two inch crab I found around Florida waters. It has a pair of arms with fan-like sifters, which it (apparently) uses to catch plankton. There's a Pacific species that does the same (the name escapes me now). First time I see something similar in Atlantic waters. It looks a bit like Petrolisthes galathinus but the coloration is completely different than what is in the Creature ID book. Anyone have any ideas?

     

    Hi Laz;

     

    It *is* Petrolisthes galathinus.

     

    Colour polymorphism is high in this species. So far, 3 different colour forms, including this one, have been identified.

     

    Les

  4. Laz, Fantastic photo and great find!

    Anne

  5. Thanks! It is interesting to see what looks like a true crab with antennaes, three pairs of legs, and two cirris (used for sifting the water for food). The dealership must have charged him some mega bucks for those options. Personally, I would have just gone with the 8-track player. :uwphotog:

  6. Thanks! It is interesting to see what looks like a true crab with antennaes, three pairs of legs, and two cirris (used for sifting the water for food). The dealership must have charged him some mega bucks for those options. Personally, I would have just gone with the 8-track player. :uwphotog:

     

    wonder what they taste like?

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.