Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Olympus C-5050, PT-015

Started by wetpixel ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

Olympus C-5050, PT-015

12 posts
  1. After being in Bimini for a month, freediving and trying to photograph sharks from moving boats, I've purchased an Olympus C-5050 and a Olympus PT-015 housing. It's nearly impossible to casually stick a Sea & Sea-housed D60 overboard to photograph something. :lol: I bought the C-5050, despite higher noise levels at low ISOs, because of the availability, quality, and cost of the Oly housing and accessories.

     

    I will likely also use it clipped to my BC or to my strobe arm when shooting wide-angle with my main setup, for "emergency" macro use. :D

     

    If I rip off the electrical tape that is currently blocking the optical slave sensor in Ike's manual strobe controller, I can use my DS-125 strobes as well, although I won't have a bracket to hold the strobes in place. But I'll only have to do this if my main housing dies.

     

    And as for a makeshift "tray," if I must use the C-5050 with Ike strobes, I'll probably use the 1/4 20 threading in the bottom of the PT-015 to secure an ULCS arm to the bottom. That should be suitable, I think...

  2. Eric,

     

    I'll watch your experiences with great interest. You are a terrific photographer, and I'll enjoy reading your comments ( good or bad ), about the 5050 and pt-015. It would be fun to see some side by side comparisons of the 5050 and the D60.

  3. Eric,

    Don't forget the Aquatica Nikonos RS flip tray that B&H is still unloading for $69 (I think) that Herb and I both use. That includes the handle. Even if you don't use the flip adapter it's a good price.

    TedJ

  4. Hmm. Got a link? :lol: I see a " Double Strobe Tray for Nikonos II-V", but nothing for the RS...

  5. Eric,

    They have been selling them on eBay for the last six months or so. I bought one back in January and it works quite well. I'll check on eBay and come back with a link.

    TEdJ

  6. Eric,

    Here's one that did not sell last week on eBay so they should still have it in stock. The price is $79 at auction or $89 "Buy it Now". The advantage to this flip adapter rather than the one made for the Nikonos II-V is that when you attach the camera through the bottom screw it sets against the frame of the flip adapter and helps to keep it from swiveling. Also you can tak off the flip adapter and attach the camera directly to the tray. I cut a piece of rubberized "shelf material' and put it undet to keep it from swiveling on the tray. I also cut a piece of lexan to fit under the camera on the flip adapter. Herb has another connection scheme that he's promised to share with me when he gets the chance.

     

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...9&category=4703

     

    TedJ

  7. Eric,

    Here's one that did not sell last week on eBay so they should still have it in stock.  The price is $79 at auction or $89 "Buy it Now".  The advantage to this flip adapter rather than the one made for the Nikonos II-V is that when you attach the camera through the bottom screw it sets against the frame of the flip adapter and helps to keep it from swiveling.  Also you can tak off the flip adapter and attach the camera directly to the tray.  I cut a piece of rubberized "shelf material' and put it undet to keep it from swiveling on the tray.  I also cut a piece of lexan to fit under the camera on the flip adapter.  Herb has another connection scheme that he's promised to share with me when he gets the chance.  

     

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...9&category=4703

     

    TedJ

    Done. You can read about it here

     

    http://www.digitaldiver.info/yabbse/index....y;threadid=2317

  8. Thanks for all the info. :lol:

     

    I'm not sure that I'll get one of those trays, because I definitely do not have room to carry one more piece of metal with me in my case!

     

    Looks nice, though. It would be very useful to be able to pivot the camera to vertical without having to adjust strobes!

  9. Eric, the metal plate on the bottom of the PT-015 is very soft brass, nickel plated. It's very easy to drill a hole for a second pin to keep it from rotating. The ULCS arms have a pretty wide web, you may have to drill & tap a second 1/4-20 hole for this to work out. I did somethin similar, and have a 1/4-20 holding the camera on, and a #10 in an untapped hole keeping it from spinning.

  10. Hey Eric,

     

    Old post but I was wondering if you had any 5050 shots to show, yet?

  11. He won't be back online until after Aug 26th.

     

    Cheers

    James

  12. I've been away too. What was the reaction to the 5050?

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.