Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Cocos and Malpelo Shark HD Video

Started by NWDiver ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Cocos and Malpelo Shark HD Video

3 posts
  1. I did 2 back to back trips to the Cocos this summer, one trip I had won on the UnderSea Hunter which then left me on the island for a couple of days until the Okeanos, with the group I was to lead, came to pick me up. For the first time in the ranger's memory and the divemasters, we had 5 large tiger sharks on the lee side of Manuelita. They stayed with us for 2 days and 5 dives in shallow 25-30 ft and each dive was between 90 and 120 minutes. This was to be my 11th trip to the Cocos since 92 and still remains my favorite place to go. I just never tire of the Cocos, it is so unpredictable. Never the less, I have never aborted as many dives as I did this summer just to pull up fishing line and shark hooks. It is a shame what is going on there. For the first time, I noticed a great decrease in the number of white tips, silver tips and even the ubiquitous marble rays.

    Steve

  2. This was only our second trip and we went with the Imagining Foundation. Part of their goal was to document the fishing and even confront one of the boats and get it on film if possible. We never found a boat but on 4-5 dives we pulled +100 yards of long lines of Manulita, Dirty Rock and I found one just off the Ranger Station, it is very sad.

     

    With the vid if it comes up small just right click it and for Windows folks go to Zoom and then Full Screen.

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.