Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Why are all my layers being affected in PS?

Started by Nakedwithoutcamera ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Why are all my layers being affected in PS?

3 posts
  1. I'm using PS CS3 for Mac. Every time I make a duplicate layer or adjustment layer, my original layer takes on the what I did in the duplicate layer. I thought the original layer was supposed to stay original. What am doing wrong?

     

    I just noticed on the layer palette, the image looks like the original, but when I click on the layer it looks the same on the big image in the working space. So I clicked the eyeball and now I see that the original image shows.

     

    I finally got up enough nerve to try layers after a workshop at my camera club and now I know why I never tried it before. It is so confusing. I guess I need PS for dummies. ;)

     

    Well, I guess I figured it out. The eyeball shows the active layer. I think one could live 100 years and still not figure out this application. And my big problem is, once I make adjustments, I can't decide which I like better, which is probably why I procrastinate so much when it comes to editing my images. :guiness:

    Edited by Nakedwithoutcamera
  2. An Adjustment layer affects all the layers below it.

     

    If you make an adjustment layer rather than an adjustmet to a layer .. you have a few choices. Either CTRL E on windows to merge the adjustment layer into the layer you want effected once the adjustment is to your satisfaction .. or just make sure that any other layers you don't want efcted are above it in the layer pecking order.

     

    The eyeball does not show the active layer .. highlighting a layer gives you control of that layer .. the eyeball just makes it visibible. For example if you click on the eyeball to hide it (no eyeball showing) you will not be able to see that layer at all. If you Click te eyeball to have the layer visible (eyeball showing) then you will be able to see the layer as long as it is on top of other layers r at least not hidden by any ther layers.

     

    If you use your favourite search engine for "Photoshop Layers Tutorial" you will find some usefull info and tutorials. My fave site for Photoshopstuff is www.photoshopusertv.com it may not be the best but it entertains also !

     

    Giles

    Edited by Giles
  3. Thanks Giles. That helped a great deal.

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.