Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Snowflake Moray Eel + ?

Started by tonywu ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Snowflake Moray Eel + ?

4 posts
  1. I came across these eels co-habitating while diving in Ambon. I recognise the lower of the two as Echidna nebulosa, but not the top eel. There were many instances of pairs of eels like this living together, which leads me to believe the two forms might be sexual variation, or perhaps the top one might be juvenile form, but I can't seem to find any references to verify this.

     

    Anyone have any insight?

     

    Cheers,

     

    Tony

     

    2983356036_580fd06fbf_o.jpg

  2. Perhaps a Bar-Tail or Bar-Finned moray?? Gymnothorax zonipectus Terrific pic BTW!!

     

    As you mentioned, saw quite a bit of this going on in Ambons harbor when I visited in the spring. Perhaps a lack of appropriate housing, or just enjoys the company??

     

    Also saw it co-habitating with the White Eyed Moray, Siderea thrsoidea, from Ambon as well.

     

    post-6923-1226488706.jpg

  3. Thanks!

     

    Gymnothorax zonipectus looks like it might be right. Still puzzled by why there were so many co-habitating eels. Haven't ever noticed it elsewhere.

     

    Cheers,

     

    Tony

  4. Saw this unlikely trio on the El Dorado House Reef near Dumagette in the Philippines.

     

    moray3_eelsPhilippines2008_WP.jpg

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.