Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Moray ID please

Started by BrianM ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Moray ID please

5 posts
  1. Help on ID please for this moray. Photographed near Mirbat, Oman in shallow depth of about 5m.

    It's a large moray, hard to say exactly as it didn't come out very far, but from what I could see of it coiled up, I would estimate over 1metre maybe 1.5m long.

     

    3024569733_92dc603fa4.jpg

  2. I think you may have a two in one deal. Large patterned butt: Black spotted moray: Gymnothorax favagineus. Front end....Yellowmargin Moray: Gymnothorax flavimarginatus. Unless you saw them joined in the middle. Then the #$ll if I know. The morays in the Indo-Pacific share dens, so I imagine it's the same in Oman.

     

    Marli

  3. Maybe you are right, but it certainly looked like and moved as one moray. Unless it was an optical illusion, we both think we saw it joined as one moray.

    Edited by BrianM
  4. Thanks Ross, but I don't think the markings look right.

     

    Maybe it is two morays as Marli thinks, if so I would like to find at least one with the same head and mouth markings as mine.

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.