Well, the new exhibit -- Nature's Best Photography's 2008 Windland Smith Rice Awards -- opened at the Smithsonian's Museum of Natural History last weekend! Since I haven't seen any pictures of the exhibit yet, I was anxious to see it. And since my "Cheshire Cat Grin" lemon shark won the Oceans category (my first major contest win!), I was understandably especially anxious!
Well, I just happened to have an excuse to "swing by" from Seattle
, so I stopped in with my sis to see it today. All I can say is WOW!
Below are a few photos I took (not great quality because I was trying - mostly unsuccessfully - to use both a flash and ambient light trying high ISOs, which - ugh - I regret now, but that's another story...). These photos don't begin to do the exhibit (or any of the individual photos) justice. The print quality is absolutely astounding! My photo looked so much better than any print I've made of it that my jaw was on the floor, especially since it is HUGE! The gorgeous color and detail in ALL of the prints is just fantastic! I highly recommend that any of you who have the opportunity be sure to stop in and visit the exhibit!
There are only a few underwater photos in this exhibit (3 as I recall). Gary Brennard's napoleon wrasse (which they placed right next to mine) is spectacular, with deep rich blues you can almost taste! There's also a beautiful spotted dolphin shot by Toshio Minami...but that was it for uw photos. Maybe they chose more "topside" stuff because the previous exhibit was NBP's Ocean Views... Anyway, here is the wall with Gary's wrasse and my shark:

A high point of my visit was getting to meet Steve Freligh, the publisher and CEO of Nature's Best Photography. We spoke at some length about NBP, the work they're doing in conjunction with the Smithsonian, and photography in general. What a GREAT GUY - very down to earth and dedicated to expanding photography as an art form, starting with young kids...and all the way up to us older kids! ![]()

Here are some shots from the rest of the exhibit. You'll see all of these photos in the next issue of NBP, which is being printed as we speak and should be out in a week or two!


