Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Nudibranch identification

Started by r.m.jackson ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Nudibranch identification

8 posts
  1. post-4359-1226936837.jpg

     

    Please assist me in identifying this nudibranch (?Caribbean Spanish Dancer) photographed at Blue Heron Bridge east span (western wall) at a depth of 3 meters. The nudibranch was about 8-9 cm in length (sorry I did not include a ruled scale). Mid day - water temperature 25.5 C.

     

    Thank you.

  2. I'll take a guess at it.. Dendrodoris krebsii. It's highly variable and Florida would work. Got any more pictures? Especially gills would be nice to see.

  3. Cor,

     

    Thank you. No further images, as the nudibranch retreated into this space in the wall.

     

    RJ

  4. post-3023-1227486737.jpg

     

    I think your nudibranch is "Pleurobranchus areolatus" the Atlantic sidegill slug.

    I photographed this one at Blue Heron Bridge on October 18.

    Does this look like your animal? From your photograph, I can't be certain.

    See Page 112 of "Caribbean Sea Slugs" (Valdes, Hamann,Behrens, DuPont)

    Great find, Anne

  5. Anne,

     

    Thank you. I will check the reference.

     

    Bob

  6. Anne,

     

    Thank you for the help. The photograph was taken November 16, 2008 just after high tide (about 11:00 AM).

     

    Bob

  7. Bob,

    I was diving the bridge on November 16, also. We usually park in front of the life guard stand, and after the dive you will see a bunch of us standing around eating snacks and talking about the dive. Next time, come over and say Hi.

    Anne

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.