Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Question about Subal Ports

Started by Benthic7 ·

  • 14Posts
  • 14Replies

Read-only discussion

Question about Subal Ports

14 posts
  1. I recently purchased a Subal ND30 along with a dome port and a port for my 105. The ports are, as most of you know, bayonet mounted. I've read several post here about Subals flooding because the ports rotated 90 degrees and came off. I've also read post from others (like Dr. Mustard) indicating that this has not been a problem. Ryan at Reef Photo (where I bought the Subal) also indicated that this really wasn't much of an issue. But after working in the engineering field for more than 25 years, I'm a firm believer in Murphy's Law. So I was wondering if there are any things that fellow Subal users do as an added measure of security.

     

    The wife and I are heading to the Solomons in a few weeks, so any input or suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks. :P

     

    Tom

  2. Personally, I see no need for a lock. But I do take the point that it is better to be safe that sorry.

     

    While a camera is under the photographers supervision it is not going to happen. If you are not paying enough attention to you kit to notice a port is rotated, then you are going to have a flood one way or another sometime soon.

     

    I've seen several cameras flood because people have gone diving without the main o-ring sitting in their hotel room! There is no accounting for human error.

     

    I think that the time to watch these things is after you hand your camera up to the crew after a dive. This is when things can get rotated and flood - when dumped in a rinse tank by someone else.

     

    Alex

  3. I recently purchased a Subal ND30 along with a dome port and a port for my 105. The ports are, as most of you know, bayonet mounted. I've read several post here about Subals flooding because the ports rotated 90 degrees and came off. I've also read post from others (like Dr. Mustard) indicating that this has not been a problem. Ryan at Reef Photo (where I bought the Subal) also indicated that this really wasn't much of an issue. But after working in the engineering field for more than 25 years, I'm a firm believer in Murphy's Law. So I was wondering if there are any things that fellow Subal users do as an added measure of security.

     

    The wife and I are heading to the Solomons in a few weeks, so any input or suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks. :P

     

    Tom

    The main potential for port rotating off is getting into the water. Once submerged a few feet, the port will not rotate tighter or looser because of the pressure.

    So getting in and out are the critical times.

    First, set up your port with the Subal label oriented at 12 o'clock.

    Second, NEVER handle the camera by the port, or allow others to do so.

    Be paranoid about checking that the port is tight with the label at 12 o'clock before getting in the water.

    It is possible, if you are totally paranoid, to duct tape or silicon tape the port as well, but that gets messy. The port locks on some brands are not a 100% either unless the lock works with port extensions as well so could provide a false sense of security.

    Edited by loftus
  4. I know this sounds funny, but I had my dome port rotated 90 degrees by a tiger shark. It was on the swim step of the Shearwater and I looked down to think - wait - that doesn't look right - after being bowled over by the shark. I don't know if a bayonet mount would have been fine, but I was sure thankful my port mount was threaded.

     

    Easy fix - a bit of black gaffer's tape from the inside of the port/extension to the inside of the housing.

     

    Cheers

    James

  5. I know this sounds funny, but I had my dome port rotated 90 degrees by a tiger shark. It was on the swim step of the Shearwater and I looked down to think - wait - that doesn't look right - after being bowled over by the shark. I don't know if a bayonet mount would have been fine, but I was sure thankful my port mount was threaded.

     

    Easy fix - a bit of black gaffer's tape from the inside of the port/extension to the inside of the housing.

     

    Cheers

    James

     

    Even if the port rotated under water, it wouldn't come off or leak because of the presure. Now obviously once you come up it could be an issue. If you are really worried, put an index mark on the port that is always at the top center so you can see easily if it has rotated. It is the o-ring that makes it water tight so it doesn't have to be perfectly tight to be safe.

  6. The wife and I are heading to the Solomons in a few weeks, so any input or suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks. :)

     

    If you take me to the Solomons with you, I will make it my responsibility to make sure your port doesn't rotate the whole time you're there :P

     

    My Aquatica housing has a port lock on it, but this is a little useless when you've got extension rings, as they can't be locked into place. I've been real careful with it though, especially getting in and out of the water, although I have noticed it's vitually impossible to rotate it by hand once underwater and there's pressure on there.

     

    Ry.

  7. If you take me to the Solomons with you, I will make it my responsibility to make sure your port doesn't rotate the whole time you're there :P

     

    My Aquatica housing has a port lock on it, but this is a little useless when you've got extension rings, as they can't be locked into place. I've been real careful with it though, especially getting in and out of the water, although I have noticed it's vitually impossible to rotate it by hand once underwater and there's pressure on there.

     

    Ry.

     

     

    There are still spots open on the Billikiki - maybe they are offering discounts now. Should be a quick flight from Brisbane. Certainly a lot closer than Florida. We are overnighting in Brisbane on the way back to the U.S. Any good pubs in downtown Brisbane? As I recall, the local Fijian beer was pretty lousy and lord knows what you can get in Honiara. I'm sure by the time we land in Brisbane, I'll be in dire need of a proper pint.

     

    And thanks for the comments, guys. I appreciate it. Sounds like taking care getting in and out of the boat is the main thing.

  8. Been a Subal owner for 10 years, never had that happen, but I do follow the suggestions posted here, no one touches the housing by the port.

     

    Stu

  9. Hi all,

     

    Well I have a sad story-my port was rotated by the crewman while handing it to me in the Red Sea last week.

     

    He relised he had done it and rotated it back but in doing so, pinched the o ring. When he handed it in to me, I bubble checked it as always, and lo and behold there were bubbles! By the time I managed to get the camera out of the water though, it had flooded.

     

    Splash one D2Xs and 105mm VR! Fortunately it is insured, but in future, I am going to tape my port on.

     

    As a postscript, this left me with an sp-350 and magic filter for the rest of the trip, which was actually great fun!

     

    I know we all say that it should never happen, and that is correct-fact is that sometimes chance/luck comes into it. To minimise Mr Murphy's effects would now (in hindsight) be a very good thing to do!

     

    All the best

     

    Adam

  10. I've had Subal ports and a housing for 6-7 years and never had a major problem. I think I've had a port rotate once or twice whilst it was out of the water and am now very careful about checking the Subal badge on the port is in line with the top of the housing, ie it is uppermost on the port. I agree with the wise advice from Loftus and Alex: its out of the water that is the usual start of the problem; a housing wrongly handled or bumped in a rinse tank. Once it is underwater there are seldom any problems - provided the o-rings are properly seated.......

     

    Damn, I hope I don't regret writing this. :P

  11. I've seen 2 floodings of Subal housings... all from rotated ports while in the rinse tank. The problem is that 1/4 turn can on rare occasions be moved by accident enough for the o-ring to lose contact and flood. Bayonet mounts are convenient for port changes no doubt and I suppose the odds of it happening is pretty low but obviously not zero. On many boats, rinse tanks just aren't big enough to take 15 full DSLR rigs at a time, I only know of 2 and usually because I ask for the extra ones.

    Having said that, duct taping the ports is a good idea, even though it's quite wasteful of tape and an extra thing to carry. It is especially a PITA if you have multiple port configurations throughout the day. I don't know the stats on floodings vs housings out there but I'm pretty sure that bayonet twist leak is statistically equivalent to shark attacks? :P

  12. The 40 mm extension for the Nikon 12-24 will rotate if you even look at it too hard. I tell guides to hand the camera down by the strobe arms, and to never let anybody put it in the rinse bucket. Later when the bucket is clear, I dunk it myself, work all the buttons, and store it.

  13. It's certainly one of the myriad of thoughts running through a photographer's head before/during/after a dive that those less-cursed non-camera divers need not be concerned.

     

    Extra care and a close eye on your rig is essential, although most crew members I've encountered are very careful.

     

    Hmmmm... perhaps one of you engineering-oriented types could come up with small posts that could be cemented onto Subal bodies and ports (and extension rings) offset a few inches (centimeters) around which a band could be looped, preventing the port from being rotated loose. (Aviation mechanics safety wire critical bolts and parts, such as oil filters in a manner that the components cannot vibrate loose.)

     

    Mark

  14. Mobile dunk tank. We've talked about this before, but for the additional weight and bulk, its well worth taking your own mobile dunk tank (viz, soft, foldable cool bag). Then if the dive boat does have stacks of camera gear in the dunk tank - plus (shudder) masks, computers, snorkels - you don't need to worry. Fill your cool bag up with water and, voila, your own private, soft-walled dunk tank. And you even have something to carry the rig back up the jetty........

     

    :P

     

    Mobile Dunk Tank: You KNOW it Makes Sense

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.