Any recommendations for CF card recovery software (Mac). I have a Promaster 8GB card that has just gone on the fritz with some images I'd like to retrieve.
Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic
CF Card Retrieval Software
Started by loftus ·
- 12Posts
- 12Replies
Read-only discussion
CF Card Retrieval Software
-
-
I've used Photorescue before and it was very easy to use and effective. There's a link at bottom right on this page to dowload the mac version:
-
Ive used Lexar Image Rescue, since it came with my Lexar cards. Works fine.
-
Thanks guys, I have a few to try now.
-
OK; I've got software, but now when I place the card in the card reader I get this message.
I guess I'm s$%^t out of luck!
-
Not necessarily. You can quick format it, then run the retrieval software. You just have to be SURE that the quick format does not write zeros to the whole card. Try it with another card first. If the format takes less than say 5 seconds it should be good. You could even go through the whole retrieval process with another card.
The quick format makes your computer understand the disk again, then the retrieval software will scan the whole card and try to locate image files that are unknown to the operating system.
YMMV, do it at your own risk. It's what I would do, and have done, but if you're unsure and the images are of high value to you, maybe have an expert do it.
-
OK; I've got software, but now when I place the card in the card reader I get this message.
I guess I'm s$%^t out of luck!
Did you try clicking ignore first then run the software, the image may still be "seen" when the software is open (was unsure if that was the system message or the software). Also have you tried via connecting the camera and not the card reader.
-
Did you try clicking ignore first then run the software, the image may still be "seen" when the software is open (was unsure if that was the system message or the software). Also have you tried via connecting the camera and not the card reader.
I have used Data Rescue II for just such times. The card wouldn't read at all, even in the camera but Data Rescue (not cheap) got back about 95% of the files.
-
Well I've tried everything now. None of the attempts can even see the card, including Disc Warrior, Data Rescue etc.
Fortunately nothing that important on the card. Thanks for all the info folks.
-
You tried a quick format and then a rescue?
-
I am not even able to format the card. In camera I get a flashing message 'CHA' when I try to format the card.
On the computer when I insert the card and get the message I mentioned above, and I try to initialize the card, it fails and I get 'Input/output error'
-
Ouch, then it's probably pretty much dead. Sucks. That doesnt happen that often luckily.