photo shop elements will not work the the nikon d300 for raw, does any one have knowledge of this and if so, what program should I use. thanks, Scott
Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic
I just ordered the Nikon D300, someone told me that+
Started by scott_nielsen ·
- 12Posts
- 12Replies
Read-only discussion
I just ordered the Nikon D300, someone told me that+
-
-
HI Scott
I am not sure about Elements but with Photoshop you can go to the Adobe website and do a search for D300. YOu should find a RAW converter there for the D300, it will also have download and instructions there on how and where to add it to your Elements Program files in order to replace the older RAW converter. Its simply a copy and paste once you have downloaded.
-
You need to use the latest version of Elements, but go to the Adobe website and download the Camera Raw update, that should take care of it.
But I would suggest using Photoshop LightRoom instead of Elements, you'll have much more control over your images than by using Elements.
-
You need to use the latest version of Elements, but go to the Adobe website and download the Camera Raw update, that should take care of it.
But I would suggest using Photoshop LightRoom instead of Elements, you'll have much more control over your images than by using Elements.
thanks kitty, will light room work with the d300? thanks, Scott
-
both lightroom and cs3 work with the D300, rumors are out that the d300x will be released with the D700x on 12/20/08. Both will have 24 mp sensor. If true, you should wait for the x versions.
-
photo shop elements will not work the the nikon d300 for raw, does any one have knowledge of this and if so, what program should I use. thanks, Scott
Not sure if you are running PC or Mac? Aperture is a good program on the Mac side of things. I actually have both Aperture and Lightroom, but have not really put Lightroom through its paces (picked it up since i was discounted when I got CS4) so cannot give a good assessment on how they compare quite yet, but Aperture is great.
-
thanks kitty, will light room work with the d300? thanks, Scott
I use the D300, I shoot in RAW only, LR downloads them automatically to my computer into the LR database. It's almost too easy.
The D300 works very well with Lightroom since it was designed to be used with RAW images. Becuase you seem to be using Elements now, I didn't suggest the much more complicated and expensive Photoshop CS3 or 4. I think LR would be the next progession up from an Elements user. LR may be all you will ever need, until you get to the point that you want to do more extensive photo-manipulations. But now that I use Lighroom, I rarely even use PS any more. Plus, when I got PS, it was totally overwhelming at first. Using LR was a piece of cake in comparison.
Good luck with the new camera.
-
thanks so much, I downloaded light room last night and also played with the program that came with the camera. Capture NX2... I'll let you know what I think after we come back from Bonaire in Dec. Scott
-
Scott,
Your going to love LR. Be sure to go to Adobe TV and checkout the free LR training videos. They have two or three 5 to 15 minute sessions on each major feature of the software. Very cool way to learn quickly what it will do. Have a blast in Bonaire!
Steve
-
Another vote for LR (and I'm using a Mac). PSE will handle D300 RAW files if you update to the latest Adobe Camera RAW update - just make sure it will run with your version of PSE. I think it needs 5.0 or greater?
I've also used NX1.x and have given the trial edition of NX2 a go. I was very keen on NX when I used Rawshooter Premium. But with LR2 and its additional editing abilities I have not used NX; and seldom now use PS.
-
thanks guys, camera came today and she is sweet!!!!! never have shot a dslr before so my neighbor helped me set it up....Love the auto focus. Do many of you use the live view? What would be a good lens for Alaska. Ryan is shipping the wide angle stuff this week. Ok, be ready, lot's of questions soon... Scott
-
If you are comparing CaptureNX to LR2, I recommend you try the Beta Camera Profiles. These have been crafted to give you raw conversion (in LR2 and ACR4) that looks very close to what you would get from CaptureNX (at least for Nikon cameras). You may decide you prefer the default out of LR2, but having them there is nice.
I struggled for a long time with LR1.x because I just didn't like the default look of the raw conversions, even though I like every other aspect of LR. I am very happy with the profiles (once I understood them with the help of the Adobe user to user forums).