Skip to content

Conservation and the Environment / Archived topic

Elephant Seal washes ashore on Vancouver Island

Started by yahsemtough ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Elephant Seal washes ashore on Vancouver Island

3 posts
  1. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...Story/National/

     

    Interesting part is in August on our trip up in Port Hardy we saw one and it was big, at first I thought it was a small whale spy hoping. I got a poor image of the face but others in the group got better shots as it was a short meeting and I ran from top deck to my bunk to grab the camera.

     

     

    Here is a link to Rand's image and I think Alex may also have one. I do not have mine posted up on my site yet.

     

    http://www.greenwaterimages.com/porthardy2...ephant_seal.htm

     

    Cheers

     

    Todd

    Edited by yahsemtough
  2. Cool article Todd. Makes that sighting seem so exciting now.

     

    Here is my photo. Taken at the same time as Rand's. Nothing that exciting.

     

    post-713-1227720290.jpg

     

    Alex

  3. Cool article Todd. Makes that sighting seem so exciting now.

     

    It's fascinating to me how the circle of life keeps going around our wetpixelian world. The elephant seal is one of the great recovery stories of our time. They were down to fewer than a thousand animals in the early 1900"s and maybe many fewer than that. The biologists I've talked to believe that the last remaining rookery was on Guadalupe island off the Mexican coast where the last few healthy animals of their species hauled out. That small beach in the cove just inshore from where Alex was taking pictures of Great Whites earlier this year was their last hope. When we understand how close we came to loosing the species the sighting and the images are pretty spectacular.

     

    By the way, thanks for the link to Rand's web site. I have somehow missed it up to now. He has some very special images there.

    Steve

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.