Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

VideoStill Photography, a new genre?

Started by loftus ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

VideoStill Photography, a new genre?

10 posts
  1. I've been following Vincent LaForet's blog and his post today again showcasing the Canon 5DMkII really got me thinking.

    http://vincentlaforet.smugmug.com/gallery/...0674_7Ykfo-A-LB

    This stuff is not quite video, and not quite still photography. Actually it's closer to still than to video, sort of extended still photography.

    I'm starting to see this as a way not so much to get into video, but to do more with our still images. May have to get a D90 to play with.

    Hard to define just yet, so I may sound a little vague.

    Any thoughts?

    Edited by loftus
  2. I've been following Vincent LaForet's blog and his post today again showcasing the Canon 5DMkII really got me thinking.

    http://vincentlaforet.smugmug.com/gallery/...0674_7Ykfo-A-LB

    This stuff is not quite video, and not quite still photography. Actually it's closer to still than to video, sort of extended still photography.

    I'm starting to see this as a way not so much to get into video, but to do more with our still images. May have to get a D90 to play with.

    Hard to define just yet, so I may sound a little vague.

    Any thoughts?

     

    This is videoall the way - not a mish-mash or a partial. The ability to really control depth of field is the major advantage for shooting video on the 5D MKII - this is only the beginning of the convergence and those not willing to make the necessary changes will go the way of the DoDo. Housing manufacturers better get on the stick is all I can say.

  3. This is videoall the way - not a mish-mash or a partial. The ability to really control depth of field is the major advantage for shooting video on the 5D MKII - this is only the beginning of the convergence and those not willing to make the necessary changes will go the way of the DoDo. Housing manufacturers better get on the stick is all I can say.

    I think you miss the point, or at least my point. I'm not talking about technical issues like depth of field etc. I'm talking about LaForet creating images that are neither full video sequences that tell a story, nor are they just single frozen moments in time as are traditional still images. I could imagine each of the little segments in this sequence in their own digital picture frame.

    I am looking at this from the perspective of a still photographer interested in expanding the possibilities of 'still' photography rather than someone who wants to be able to do separate video and still with one camera. Imagine for example the sequence of the girl in the red dress in a digital picture frame. You could have what would essentially be a still image but say with the wind still blowing and moving the dress. You can do the same with most of the sequences in LaForet's clip, still images with moving shadows etc.

    Edited by loftus
  4. Jeff

    I think this topic goes right back to Cinematography 101. Citizen Kane and the likes, a sequence where the scene depicts a picture. What is video but a bunch of moving pictures at 24/25/30 fps? There is no separation, just a different style of shooting. I mean the simple issue of video allowing the subject to go off frame to complete a shot. With stills, once the subject is slightly obscured...it's a bad shot, and once it's fully out of frame, it's a dud whereas in motion pictures, it's almost essential.

    As for Reverie, Vince was trying to show a showpiece for the 5D2. From what I see of the edit, I think he had a script that was definitely a lot fuller than the final edit. I think he had to throw out a lot of shots because of the CMOS skew/wobble (even with the gyro stabilizer, handheld is pretty hard). The final edit sort of skips beats because I think the motion shots he wanted didn't come out right. I think Canon would've dropped their 800mm on his head if he showed a bad product. But it also shows the ability of the 5D2 with the crushed blacks and clipped highlights giving off the look he wanted, and thus the limitation of the Digic IV processor.

  5. I've been following Vincent LaForet's blog and his post today again showcasing the Canon 5DMkII really got me thinking....

    ....This stuff is not quite video, and not quite still photography. Actually it's closer to still than to video, sort of extended still photography....

     

    One (of many i guess) great exponent of the "moving picture" (as opposed to moving pictures) is Gregory Colbert. His Ashes and Snow project contains some beautiful imagery.

    Shot on Vid and 35mm movie too i think.

  6. I saw the nomadic museum in santa monica. His film was shot mainly on 35mm for the slo mo. Gorgeously done esp that elephant sequence in thailand and the temple sequence in Egypt.

  7. One (of many i guess) great exponent of the "moving picture" (as opposed to moving pictures) is Gregory Colbert. His Ashes and Snow project contains some beautiful imagery.

    Shot on Vid and 35mm movie too i think.

    I think you're spot on, I had not thought of that before when I saw the Ashes and Snow website a couple of years ago. Just my two cents on looking at using video from a still shooter's perspective.

    You know Drew, I was in Santa Monica at the pier, and I saw this big building built out of boxcars, and had no idea what it was. I was pretty upset when I realized afterwards that it was the Ashes and Snow exhibition that I missed.

    Edited by loftus
  8. I think you're spot on, I had not thought of that before when I saw the Ashes and Snow website a couple of years ago. Just my two cents on looking at using video from a still shooter's perspective.

    You know Drew, I was in Santa Monica at the pier, and I saw this big building built out of boxcars, and had no idea what it was. I was pretty upset when I realized afterwards that it was the Ashes and Snow exhibition that I missed.

     

    I would love to have seen it... Colbert's photographs are amazing too. Exciting times for us all I guess.

     

    I already have a few clients asking if I can shoot video, as their video guys are touting their stills capability. Arguments about who's best at what aside, the new playing field has arrived.

     

    We just have to work out which position we try out for.

    Edited by photovan
  9. I think you're spot on, I had not thought of that before when I saw the Ashes and Snow website a couple of years ago. Just my two cents on looking at using video from a still shooter's perspective.

    You know Drew, I was in Santa Monica at the pier, and I saw this big building built out of boxcars, and had no idea what it was. I was pretty upset when I realized afterwards that it was the Ashes and Snow exhibition that I missed.

    Well the building was non-descript and with the number of homeless in Santa Monica, you'd be excused to think it was some fancy homeless shelter. :P

    His visions for film were very interesting and I was very surprised when he claimed there was no real compositing involved for the live animal and human sequences. Shot at 120fps, those sequences are an amazing blend of timing and performance art.

    It's in Brazil next... time for the caipirinha? :)

    I would love to have seen it... Colbert's photographs are amazing too. Exciting times for us all I guess.

     

    I already have a few clients asking if I can shoot video, as their video guys are touting their stills capability. Arguments about who's best at what aside, the new playing field has arrived.

     

    We just have to work out which position we try out for.

    It's always about having one guy do it all vs having 4 guys do different things. Look at Scarlett and you'll see the convergence more apparent.

  10. ......

    Look at Scarlett and you'll see the convergence more apparent.....

     

    ...Yes it is Red (and future Scarlett) users that I am talking about....

    darren

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.