Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Sigma 17-70 (non HSM)

Started by IMSushi ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Sigma 17-70 (non HSM)

8 posts
  1. OK, I know this lens has been discussed backwards and forwards, but bear with me for a second. I've searched this site until my eyes hurt, Called Backscatter and Reef Photo. No one knows what port combination to use for the Sigma 17-70 on a Sea & Sea housing. Can anyone help me out here? Even a link to previously discussed topic would be greatly appreciated!

     

    I use a D80 and already have the SX Extension Ring and Optical Dome Port that I use for my Tokina 10-17.

     

    Thanks Again!

    Edited by IMSushi
  2. I'm using Sigma 17-70 HSM with S&S MDX-300 housing and the port combination Reef Photo recommended me is NX compact macro port base (56201) + compact wide port (30103). This combination, however, proved to be too short and the lens can be zoomed only to approx. 50 mm. So when wishing to use longer zoom I do add an SX extension ring (50261) which, however, cuts off the wide end at approx. 25 mm.

    Edited by segal3
  3. I wonder why they didn't recommend an NX Fisheye Dome Port with 40mm Ring. That was the way I was leaning, If you had to do it over again, would you still buy the same gear for this lens?

  4. Hi Pat,

     

    There must have been some confusion, as this is a pretty well known combination. We've suggested 2 options in the past, and they can be found here via search.

     

    Optical Dome Port + Extension Ring 40 + SX Extension Ring

    -benefits include in air field of view, good underwater handling

    -cons include in air field of view (for macro shooting, flat port has higher magnfication)

     

    Compact Wide Port L + NX Compact Port Base

    -pros include better macro performance from refractive mag & flat port, less expensive

    -cons include narrower than in air fov, some distortion in corners, and not quite full zoom

     

    I personally don't like the NX Fisheye Dome Port. Acrylic ports scratch too easily for my purposes, and it has poor underwater handling.

     

    Thanks,

    Ryan

  5. Even with the limitation in the zoom range I probably would buy the same gear. I feel the compact wide port is easier to use for the type of subjects I usually shoot (fishes lying on the bottom, crayfishes etc.) than the bulky NX Fisheye Dome port when trying to get close and same level with the subject.

     

     

    I wonder why they didn't recommend an NX Fisheye Dome Port with 40mm Ring. That was the way I was leaning, If you had to do it over again, would you still buy the same gear for this lens?
  6. hey pat,

     

    My friend using the large fisheye dome port with the 40mm extension with the sigma 17-70mm and likes it.

     

    I have both the compact and large acrylic dome ports. I can understand Ryan's comments about underwater handling, I prefer to use my compact port with my fisheye lens because of the smaller size.

     

    Ryan, by poor handling, do you mean you dislike all large dome ports because of their bulk?

     

    Since you already have a small dome port (the glass one) and an extension ring, you might just need one more extension ring and you'll be fine. sound's like you'll need a 20mm ring + 40mm ring, with a small dome port, just like ryan said.

     

    Let me know how it works out. I'm thinking of getting the sigma 17-70 at some point.

     

    Scott

  7. First off, Thanks Ryan for getting back to me. The gal at the shop wasn't sure and was going to get back to me...later. The info you provided is great! I agree, I'm not too in love with acrylic domes. :-)

     

    Scott, I think, if I'm reading Ryan's post correctly, I already have most of what I need. I already have the Optical Glass Dome an the SX Extension Ring. All I need now is the 40mm Ring and I'm good! I'll go that route first and get back to you. Then later if I need it I'll think about the large NX Dome.

     

    Ryan, one more quick question. Which zoom gear? Maybe the same as the Tokina 10-17 (made for the Canon 16-35)? Or other?

  8. Hi guys,

    i'm nearly in the same situation as Pat - I got a Sea&Sea DX-D80 and a 17-70.

    Maybe later I want to get my 12-24 and 60 macro wet but for the beginning the 17-70 I think is right for me.

     

    Compact Wide Port L + NX Compact Port Base

    -pros include better macro performance from refractive mag & flat port, less expensive

    -cons include narrower than in air fov, some distortion in corners, and not quite full zoom

    What about the distortions -> has someone with this combination a picture at 17mm where they are visible?

    I don't want the same soft corners as my 8080 has in the pt-023...

     

    A dealer also recommended me the Athena Fisheye Vario Port (he said - same as the Optical Dome).

    Any suggestions?

     

    The previous owner of my housing had the 17-70 in the Fisheye-Dome with an Extension - but I think it's quite bulky as you all say...

    He uses the Zoomgear from the 10-17 with electrical tape around the lens to fit.

    Will the Zoomgear for the 12-24 do the same?

     

    Greetings

    Tom

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.