Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Split Above Water/Below Water Shot

Started by JohnJohnsonIII ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Split Above Water/Below Water Shot

9 posts
  1. I am looking to take the underwater/above water shot with my Olympus 5050 and was wondering what I would need to do this. I talk to film guys and they always mentioning dome shots and split diopters. Anybody with an Olympus been able to take such a shot and if so, what was your rig and settings? Thanks!

  2. First thing you need is a BIG dome port. Next, a fisheye lens helps.

     

    Then you can start thinking about split neutral density filters.

     

    Cheers

    James Wiseman

  3. Take a look at:

    http://www.clubcamedia.com/photo/gallery/r...r1_kirei_1.html

    I thought I would be needing a dome lens and much else, but from what this guy is saying(in Japanese), it doesn't seem that he used anything. He mentions taking many shots trial-and-error, but he mentions no special lenses or anything. In looking at his pic, the corners don't show any distortion that you would expect to see with a fisheye or dome lens...

    I have a wide conversion lens for my Oly5050 and was wondering if it would be possible to pull it off with that alone. I would need to get a dome lens through Inon as well as the wide lens and the combination would be $500 or so just to get an above-below shot...not worth it. Wondering if anyone has actually pulled off an above-below with an Oly5050...Thanks!

  4. Just wait til you try it. This is not an easy task (to get a good shot) with a small dome or add on lense. Like James said you really need a large dome especially if you're doing this in the ocean. If the water is glassy then it will be a lot easier. I was trying this in the pool the other day with my small dome on a A5000 and with just my nephew making a few waves endded up giving up.

  5. Gotcha...I have tried it before with just the regular camera in housing and it was impossible. I wondered if the Wide Angle Lens would help any on it. I was thinking about getting a dome lens, but I need to get the Inon wide angle lens as well, so I might hold off and try with my existing WAL. Thanks for your input!

     

    --John

  6. I'm a big fan of split level images. Key ingredients are a domeport and the widest lens you can get. I still do all my split levels on 35mm because of the increased coverage of the lenses relative to my DSLR.

     

    Digital offers some interesting advantages for split shots - such as exposure adjustment of each half of the frame from the same RAW file - or by shooting each half seperately and joining them in the computer. This is the best way to get the shot with a non-SLR digital.

     

    Split levels are one of those shots you just have to have the right kit for. If you have the right kit they are easy - without the right kit then getting the shot if pretty tough. Sorry if this all sounds a bit pessimistic.

     

    Alex

     

    I never use split dioptres - too restrictive unless you have a particular shot in mind. Below is a digital split level of a starfish and a guy on a jetty. D100 + 16mm. I guess James recognises where this is! This shot is OK - but is inferior to what the same photographer would have got with a 35mm camera and the same lens.

  7. Alex--thanks for the post! That is a sweet shot! Looks like the Bahamas. Saw a gazillion star fish there last month! I will probably get the dome port on my next trip to Japan. It just hurts because I spent 2 or 3 hundred bucks on the UN WAL when, if I had known the INON Dome Port needs the INON WAL lens, I would have gotten the INON WAL. Oh well. Something to think about in the next month, anyway. I am looking at dropping 1K on a Ikelite strobe/tray/arm at the same time, so I need to think it over reaaaally well for now. Thanks for your input!

  8. Not to argue the point that having a 10ft IMAX dome and split neutral density filters would make your task a little easier but here are a pair of shots I just recently took with my Olympus 5050 and the Sea & Sea WAL.

     

    These shots are far from perfect but they might give you enough hope to want to experiment a bit with what you've got before you go spending thousands on a new system.

     

     

    Baby turtle.. Image rotated about 30 degrees and cropped.

     

     

    No manipulation to the image. Straight from the camera. I would have sworn there

    was a little baby turtle in the middle of all that Sargassum seaweed when I took

    the picture -- there are two at the far right. ;)

    Edited by laz217
  9. Very cool Laz!

     

    I bet the Inon domeport would do the trick instead of the IMAX dome...:-)

     

    But your shots show that it can be done with standard equipment (read not >$300 for the stinkin' dome)

     

    Cheers

    James

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.