Hello Guys,
we now have our 10D for a few weeks, and I must say that I am very pleased with it. We
used to have a Nikon Coolpix 990 so far and can now compare the two interface concepts
a little bit. Of course a consumer digicam cannot really be compared to a DSLR, but I'd like
to share some thoughts with you on this.
When moving to digital SLR, I was more strongly considering the RAW concept of various
manufacturers like Nikon, Fuji, Kodak and Canon. This became increasingly important to me, since you will generally produce higher filesizes and will need more time for post-processing then with JPEGs out of the camera. So I was looking for a symbiosis of producing small file sizes and high post-processing flexibility.
For UW-Photos, RAW becomes quite essential since it can rescue a lot of your images
suffering from underexposure or doing some fine-tuning on the white balance after the
dive.
From my research on the net and chat with people I quickly found that Canon seemed to have the longest experience, when dealing with RAW-modes. The other brands hat to get there somehow... However I also heard that the original software from most manufacturers is awful sloooooow… This also included Canon, but Canon cameras have a lot of third party software vendors to cope with this performance problem.
The task was to find a tool which is both fast and good with results. Of course you can use
Photoshop, as it will give you the best results and possibilities. But it will also consume lots
of your time, while editing the photos. The search for a mass-development tool, quickly lead
me to BreezeBrowser and Capture One LE. But if you really want to make use of these tools,
you have to check if your Camera is supported. And here we are again: Both focus on Canon
cameras, meaning that many nice features will only be available with these cameras. After
testing both my decision fell on Capture One LE, since it is awesome fast, even on my 800MHz
Celeron machine with 768MB RAM and you are able to do better and quicker mass conversions
with any other tool that I have tested.
I might start a brand war here, but for me this issue was that important that it had a higher
priority for my buying decision than the support of TTL with our substrobes, which would
have been available with the Fuji S2 pro.
However I have to admit that Canon currently is simply not as wide as Nikon or Fuji with their new
12-24mm. Although I have not been on a dive with our 10D yet, so we'll have to figure out how it will behave underwater. But I am sure it will deliver convincing results. I will report
back on these Issues in September 2001, since we are going to test both cameras
- the Nikon D100 with the new 12-24mm WA-Zoom
- and the 10D with a SIGMA 15-30mm WA-Zoom
…in the Red Sea for a true comparison! I also would like to mention that we are still
looking for two people to join us on the boat. So if you are interested PM or EMail me.
Best Regards, Andi