Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Lightroom2-64 bit-NEF-DNG General questios

Started by RStyle ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Lightroom2-64 bit-NEF-DNG General questios

8 posts
  1. I am a beginner in U/w digital imaging. Just came bak from my first dive trip using a digital setup.

     

    Bought new computer with Windows Vista Premium 64 bit and Lightroom 2

     

    When I load my images into Lightroom I can choose NEF or DNG but either one will load in a folder in "My Pictures" where I can't open them. I guess Adobe does not have a 64bit codec for opening in Vista 64 bit. Do I have other options?

    When I open an album all I have are brown folders!

     

    Is there a way in Lightroom to import and transfer the images to the folders in my hard drive "My Pictures" in a different format (TIFF? or JPEG?)

     

    Can I transfer images from Lightroom to the folders in "My Pictures" in JPEGS for e-mail (Like in Adobe Elements). I can't find a way to do it. Elememts would allow you to select the size of the JPEG.

     

    Up to now ,I can see the potential for all the things that can be done but very frustrated! Thanks for any suggestions

  2. Hi Rstyle, i find your posting a little confusing. It's not immediately clear what the problem is. Lightroom 2 works fine with Vista 64 (use it myself). Also, you dont need to have your photos in 'My Pictures'. You can drag and drop a whole folder right onto Lightroom and you'll get a window asking what to do.

     

    To 'transfer' photos, what you do is select the photos in Lightroom, and then use the Export feature. That'll let you save photos as jpgs for use in email or something else.

  3. I appreciate your response. Thank you.

     

    I found the way to transfer last night while playing with the program.

     

    My question is probably confusing because of my inexperience

    What I did to try to keep all my photos organized when I import the pictures to Lightroom (there may be better ways)

     

    1) I shoot everything in RAW

    2) Download to my computer ito Lightroom2. Used NEF for now but will probably switch to DNG in the future

    3) I created a folder in "My Pictures" called Photo Downloads

     

    4) When I import the images I ask Lightroom to place them in the Photo Downloads in "My Pictures" but in subfolders that I create (Example: Fiji Land Shots, Sponges, Soft coral etc)

     

    If I try to open the images directly from the folders in "My Pictures" without using Lightroom all I get is a brown folder with info about the image.

    I can only view them if I open the Lightroom program

     

    I have been told that this is due to Adobe not having a Vista 64bit codec but that there is someone else that sells a program to solve this (ArdFly or something like that) so that you can open NEF or DNG outside of Lightroom

     

    I am open to suggestions since I am just making up this steps as I go and there may be better ways to keep the images organized

     

    Again, forgive me for my inexperience and everything I am doing may be redundant or wrong, but I really appreciate your suggestions

  4. Hi,

     

    Glad you got the import process sorted!

     

    To view nef files in "my pictures" you will need to load in a RAW viewer. MS has a free one here: MS RAW viewer

     

    I think this will work with a 64 bit system,but as mine is 32, I'm not sure!

     

    Hope that helps

     

    Adam

  5. Like Adam says, Vista does not have support for NEF. There may be ways around it, like that Raw Viewer, but ive never needed it so I dont know. I always use either LightRoom or Photo Mechanic to view my files.

  6. Windows Vista provides a way for camera manufacturers and third parties to provide native support for image file formats.

     

    Microsoft has provided a list of most of them at http://www.microsoft.com/prophoto/downloads/codecs.aspx

     

    A codec provides metadata, thumbnail preview, and optionally editing support.

     

    Most camera manufacturers have not released 64 bit codecs.

     

    We are a third party developer of 64 bit codecs for DNG, NEF, and CR2. We cater mostly to professional photographers and serious enthusiasts who can justify the cost of a commercial codec. Free trials of our codecs are available if you wish to try them out at http://www.ardfry.com

     

    David Blake

  7. Windows Vista provides a way for camera manufacturers and third parties to provide native support for image file formats.

     

    Microsoft has provided a list of most of them at http://www.microsoft.com/prophoto/downloads/codecs.aspx

     

    A codec provides metadata, thumbnail preview, and optionally editing support.

     

    Most camera manufacturers have not released 64 bit codecs.

     

    We are a third party developer of 64 bit codecs for DNG, NEF, and CR2. We cater mostly to professional photographers and serious enthusiasts who can justify the cost of a commercial codec. Free trials of our codecs are available if you wish to try them out at http://www.ardfry.com

     

    David Blake

  8. MS RAW viewer does not support 64 bit at this time.

    The only potential solution at this time, if you want to open images outside of Lightroom, is Ardfly, as David suggested.

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.