Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Which Nikon 105 lens?

Started by Wanderlust ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Which Nikon 105 lens?

6 posts
  1. I want to add the Nikon 105 lens to my collection but I don't understand all the lens markings. Can anyone help me out here or make a recommendation on the 105? Thanks...

  2. I want to add the Nikon 105 lens to my collection but I don't understand all the lens markings. Can anyone help me out here or make a recommendation on the 105? Thanks...

     

    Hi,

     

    I have owned both the old and new 105mm lenses, and can say that the new, VR version is much better (for me, anyway). As for the markings, the AF-S is for the Silent wave Auto Focus. The VR is for Vibration Reduction. IF-ED stands for Internal Focus - Extra low Dispersion, which refers to the quality of the elements.

     

    The old 105mm was a nice lens but it was very slow to focus and hunted a lot. I love the new version. Here's a short slideshow from the first time I tested out the new 105mm (not underwater, sorry): http://coreymcnabb.com/slideshows/090822_butterflies/

     

    Hope that helps,

     

    Corey

    Edited by Corey McNabb
  3. Do you have a macro lens at the moment? What camera are you using? Will you use AF or manual?

     

    I have found it takes a lot of practice to aim my 105mm accurately underwater. I guess that it would be easier with a full-frame sensor than with a cropped sensor, as the effective focal length with a cropped sensor is more like 157mm. AF is less reliable with the cheaper AF sensors of consumer Nikon bodies; even with my D200 it hunts, sometimes a lot.

     

    The old 60mm macro lens is easier to use (I can't comment on the new version), and the only drawback is that you have to get closer to the subject, which isn't a drawback at all in turbid water. The 105mm likes really clear water.

     

    That said, I am now using my 105mm VR more than my 60mm...

     

    Tim

     

    :)

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.