Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Strobe and Blue-Green tented Pictures

Started by lfpahler ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Strobe and Blue-Green tented Pictures

3 posts
  1. I would like anyone’s opinion and help concerning my underwater photography quandary. I have a Canon 5D camera that is equipped with an Ikelite housing and two strobes (an Ikelite DS-125 and a DS-51 with sync cords). I primarily use a 50 mm macro, a 100 mm macro or a 24 mm wide angle lens with corresponding ports when taking pictures. I am learning underwater photography and have practiced for a little over a year. The problem is that when using both strobes with diffusers my pictures always have a blue-green tent. I have tired the various settings on the camera, flash, sun, cloudy, etc, with no improvement. I have also tried a complete variety of settings on the strobes (TTL, full, ½, ¼, etc) with no improvement. I have also compared taking pictures using white balance corrections compared to pictures taken with the strobes at 100, 80, 60, 40, 20 feet depths and have found that even at 100 feet the white balance pictures are better than the ones taken with the strobes because the pictures taken with the strobes have a blue-green tent. I use the adobe CS3 program (the CS4 is now available but don’t have it) to correct my raw pictures. I have also found that night pictures do not suffer the blue-green tent problem. I am at a loss as to the remedy to this problem and have asked several people who have underwater photography experience and nothing they have suggested has helped (like change the camera setting; sun, cloudy, flash, etc; change the strobes power settings). I know someone out there has the solution to this problem. Thank you for helping.

  2. Hi,

    Can you post an example of a shot with the problem?

    Steve

  3. The first thing that comes to my mind is the shooting distance, it might be to big...

     

    But without a example that's hard to say.

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.