Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

ID for a 1ring octopus and worm please?

Started by Drew ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

ID for a 1ring octopus and worm please?

7 posts
  1. I found these at Laha in Ambon, Indonesia:

    Curly worm

    post-1861-1228837480.jpg

    post-1861-1228837518.jpg

    Octopus whose ring remained red even when lense was close. Thought it was a Mototi but doesn't seem to fit. Very small octopus, maybe 4cm in length. Looks like a Cyanea but perhaps too small?

    post-1861-1228837552.jpg

     

    Thanks in advance.

    Edited by Drew
  2. WHOA! Very cool, very wonderful shots of the worm. Family Acoetidae (in older books as family Polyodontidae) - the scales and the stalked eyes are a dead giveaway. I've never seen shots of one alive. Normally they are in tubes buried deep in the sediment or under rocks. So 2 questions - where/how did you find it, and (you knew this one was coming) could I possible have high res versions with your copyright shifted so it doesn't obscure the features? Pretty please? Pretty please on my knees begging?

  3. Leslie

    Check your email for your xmas gift.

    As for habitat, I'm sure this worm was dug up by the guide from under the rocks since this guide was very rock flippy. I had to tone him down a lot! It was very shy and I only had about 15 seconds as it was burrowing its way back into the black sand. It seemed pretty picky about where to burrow in as it pulled back several times. Finally found a soft area under a rock and disappeared.

    Wish I could give you more info but I was more worried about kicking up sand and fstops and shutter speed while watching it wasn't snatched up by a passing trevally or something.

  4. Hey wait... there's no exact name for this worm? Acoetidae Species is all you got?

  5. Yup, that's all I got. I can't find any images of live acoetids - which is why I'm so excited about yours - and nothing about color in the described species. Even if there were some, there's no information on the usefulness of color in the family. If you'd like to legally get me an actual specimen so I can check body structures with a microscope I can give you a better name. In the meantime Acoetidae unidentified is the best I can do. And thanks for the information about habitat and behavior. That fits what's already known.

  6. Come for the staff trip and find your own worms. :)

  7. If only I could!

    Edited by Leslie
Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.