Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Black and White Film

Started by caveman ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Black and White Film

10 posts
  1. Black and White Film

     

    I bought some TX 400 film recently expecting nice pictures, but the texture was as rough as the sand on the beach. Not really knowing too much about different types of B/W film, I assume this is intended in the TX 400

     

    Has any one got any advice on what film to use to get a smooth texture, and to get shades of grey rahter than just black or white.

  2. Try and get a good Panchromatic - Fuji, Kodak, Agfa & Ilford.

  3. Wow! Conjoined turtles attached at the rear flippers! How odd that they could survive to maturity.

  4. Yes, They were photochopped at birth! :D

  5. Thanks. Will try to look for it, although I am not sure whether it is written on the box that way " Pan chromatic"

  6. Like any film, you trade speed for grain. Smaller grain equals more detail and less contrast.

     

    ASA400 is going to be a lot more grainy than say 125.

     

    Or just go for it and work with the grain to make gritty dramatic images.

     

    Jack

  7. TX film provides a higher contrast and more grain.

     

    Try some T-Max film 100 speed. The output quality will also be controlled by the processing lab, so choose a good B&W lab.

     

    Kodak TMax info

     

    I used to use Ilford Pan, but never underwater. It's probably a little too contrasty, but the lack of grain was wonderful.

  8. Ooops, accidently got some T400CN . will try the films you recommended real soon.

     

    Thanks

  9. Having, last night, got my sheets of Agfa Scala back (that I took a week or so ago in the Red Sea) I would strongly recommend this film. Its a B&W positive film and is loverley!

  10. Were you shooting Wide or Macro on the Agfa Scala? How did the exposures required compare to regular colour tranperancies?

     

    Also, can you notice the granularity of the 200 ASA ? I found with colour tranperencies projected images are not so bad, but when you scan them the "softness" shows ...

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.