Skip to content

Conservation and the Environment / Archived topic

Re: This happens in Denmark !!

Started by CADiver ·

  • 13Posts
  • 13Replies

Read-only discussion

Re: This happens in Denmark !!

13 posts
  1. http://www.funonthenet.in/forums/index.php...9.new;topicseen

     

    These set of pictures are poping up in all kind of places this monring. I am compell to say something but I realize I may be flame for different interpretation, so just my disclaimer, I said what I meant on the surface, no deeper meaning ...

     

    Japanese, Korean, Chinese are often criticise as the one often kill whales, sharks and dolphin. I am sad but glad these pictures show up to demonstrate western culture also execute this nasty barbaric killing for whatever their purpose & reasons. But yet it's being discuss far less then killing in Asia!

  2. It's on the Faroer islands (not strictly denmark, they even have a football team (soccer). Just as native american tribes can hunt Bowhead Whales, the native citizens of these islands are permitted (but accordint to this link, not regulated by the IWC http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grindadrap.

     

    There are other western nations hunting whales : Norway, Iceland, Canada. In the past my country (Netherlands) did quite some whaling as well: ....

  3. OMG :D

    Remind me again why do "we" do this?! Awful to see a massacre of this level...

    And indeed I havent heared about this happening in Europe side of the world. :unsure:

    Scubamoose

  4. Yes, it does and the racist elements of condemnation always comes out in how many fail to mention that this hunt happens in the Faroes annually while creating all sorts of anti Japanese sentiment over Taiji. However, the mercury level of this pilot whale meat has been so high that the Faroese have since eased their hunting from 900+ to under 100 this year (I believe). The health issues have created a lot of pain for the Faroese.

  5. suddenly my glass of 2003 chateauneuf-du-pape doesnt taste as good. obviously it is a good thing to show others, as it is images like this that i show to my non diving friends and then try and educate them as best i can.

     

    cheers, stew

  6. ... So why is it legal and ok for (them...) to kill and not being rage by the animal or green peace department but when the Asian kill, it was so wrong ? Wall Street Jouranl a while ago publish a full page said don't eat sharks fin because they were kill massively by Thai & Chinese. But ... I am going to shut up cause it will start offen others I am sure ... But I just don't understand ... sometimes .... I don't understand how those green peace people operate, I don't understand how those animal cruelty people operate when they seems to only focus on certain part of the world. How do they choose what and where to harrsess ??

     

    I belive in supply & demand, if I don't eat sharks fin, dog leg, bear feet, monkey brian, I am sure it will sell less and less demand means less killing ... I hope ...

     

    Merry Christmas, I am going to Galapagos next week, hope i don't see not blood ... :-)

     

    Cheers !

    Dominic

    Edited by CADiver
  7. i seem to recall Sea Shepard being there a few years back but no longer allowed under threat of instant arrest..

     

    But, thats just from memory. Drew will know.. he knows all :unsure:

  8. Well the Faroese have whaling history up to the 1500s so they were outside. So they came under the "traditional" hunting that other whale hunting tribes in Greenland, Canada and the US have. I don't remember but I don't think they are even under the auspices of the IWC whereas St Vincent/Grenadines are (for humpbacks).

    The other point they argued was that they were taking less than 0.1% of the population annually and it was fully sustainable. Still the surgeon general equivalent in Faroe made the announcement that whale meat should be drastically reduced in the Faroese diets due to the mercury levels in the meat. Sea Sheperd was out there in the late 80s to protest, as Mike said. There were plenty of protests against the hunts but they don't get the press like the Japanese for 2 simply reasons. All these organizations need to raise money and the Japanese are the biggest targets as an economic powerhouse. It garners bigger press coverage vs some island in the Atlantic where 80% of the world won't even know where it is.

    I really do think we have to separate the sustainability argument vs the cruelty argument. The Faroese are not hunting endangered whales and they don't make a dent on the population. it will die out due to the mercury issues.

     

    Oh Mike... I don't know where your cables are now. I gave it to the George impersonator at Crystal.

  9. Adu Mr!

     

    Made doesn't look like George!

  10. Wow ! Whales War was on Animal Channel HD all Sunday and this is the first time I saw & heard "Sea Sheperd". I then go back to read some threads on Wetpixel and realize they were well dicussed before. I swear I watched about 6 hours repeately of this Whales War episole (since it's raining here and I can't do any diving today) and I must say I had mixed feeling about it. I agree the conservation and the protection of endanger species. I disagree they target only Japanese fishermen. I disagree they made a TV show that target ONLY Japenese and I disagree they don't mention any other culture that had done similar damage. Show like this may bring awareness to the world about the issue but also sterotype who's causing the most damage. If I peel the onion, it felt like watching survior or something like that, not a real documentary without prejudiced.

     

    A friend of mind told me once why some whales killing happen in the Japan sea, he said it was because whales ate a lot of fishes, so tuna, hamachi, etc became so little or hard to find and tuna, yellow tail etc are the one they eat most, not whales ! So whales inbalance their eco-system so they have no fish to eat ! So farm raise appears to be the solution or kill some ....

     

    Now then I read something about farm raise shark in Australia for sharks fin purpose and they are consider curel and wrong, etc etc. I am confuse. Should we all become vegetarian or something and we can have world peace ?

    We raise cow, pig, chicken, fish as part of our regular food chain, why is it so wrong to farm raise sharks for fin and their meat too. Why is it so wrong to reduce whales population if they are indeed in balance the eco system so the tuna and other fishes population were not reduced.

     

    I have no statistic, I am just thinking out loud as I read thru some of these stuffs over this weekend. it was all sparked by the Denmak dolphin killing pictures I saw early in the week, it seems I have more questions than answer now ...

     

    Cheers !

  11. I disagree they target only Japanese fishermen. I disagree they made a TV show that target ONLY Japenese and I disagree they don't mention any other culture that had done similar damage. Show like this may bring awareness to the world about the issue but also sterotype who's causing the most damage. If I peel the onion, it felt like watching survior or something like that, not a real documentary without prejudiced.

    Exactly what brings out nationalism which further pushes back the agenda of changing the Japanese attitude. Also remember that Japan only followed the moratorium because Reagan threatened to remove fishing rights in Alaskan waters via the Packwood-Magnuson and Pelly amendents. After they signed, the allocations were reduced anyhow. It's always be suggested that the Japanese started the "scientific" whaling program only after the quota's on the Alaskan Pollock fisheries dwindled to half in 2 years. On top of that was the Reagan era of anti-Japanese sentiment due to the Japanese industries outcompeting US industries.

    It's really not as simple as the NGOs like Sea Shepard and Greenpeace claim, since they had a hand in how the cards were dealt:

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6659401.stm

     

     

    A friend of mind told me once why some whales killing happen in the Japan sea, he said it was because whales ate a lot of fishes, so tuna, hamachi, etc became so little or hard to find and tuna, yellow tail etc are the one they eat most, not whales ! So whales inbalance their eco-system so they have no fish to eat ! So farm raise appears to be the solution or kill some ....

    I've only heard of orca eating tuna. The Norwegians target the minke because they compete on the herring. I suppose tuna fry is plankton but I think that's a stretch for baleen whales. Still the real problem is like 99.9% of other countries, the Japanese have mismanaged up their fisheries. That's why their arm spreads across the Pacific and Indian Ocean. It's a resource grab.

    Now then I read something about farm raise shark in Australia for sharks fin purpose and they are consider curel and wrong, etc etc. I am confuse. Should we all become vegetarian or something and we can have world peace ?We raise cow, pig, chicken, fish as part of our regular food chain, why is it so wrong to farm raise sharks for fin and their meat too. Why is it so wrong to reduce whales population if they are indeed in balance the eco system so the tuna and other fishes population were not reduced.

    Well a few companies have claimed their fins come from farmed sharks yet I know of no such farm where it starts from egg to adult. Some claim to be farms but are merely just sharks caught and penned.

    Indeed, removing competitors for food is what many fishermen do. Monk Seals were killed off in the Adriatic for that reason. The point is if at what level is sustainable and what level is the gene pool going to be healthy?

    We absolutely have everything we need on land but somehow people still starve and even staples like rice suffer from price spikes due to human greed. There've been stories of farmers allowing their crops to die to maintain rice prices. Can humans learn to manage their resources well to balance their need for food with conservation? I've started to believe it's not possible anymore.

     

     

    Adu Mr!

     

    Made doesn't look like George!

    Not Made, the George impersonator that Bevens finds so funny. Minni knows about it too.

  12. Ahhh..

     

    Nyoman :unsure:

  13. We absolutely have everything we need on land but somehow people still starve and even staples like rice suffer from price spikes due to human greed. There've been stories of farmers allowing their crops to die to maintain rice prices. Can humans learn to manage their resources well to balance their need for food with conservation? I've started to believe it's not possible anymore.

     

    Agreed, am getting pessimistic about humans too... But we should still try to do something? Even if it is just some little thing like signing a petition? http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/denmar...-salughter.html

    It is heartening that more that 12,000 signatures have been collected on the petitionsite & now the petition is closed. http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/end-whale...e-faroe-islands

     

    PS. Sorry for late reply on this...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.