Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Digital on the Big Screen

Started by mattd ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Digital on the Big Screen

9 posts
  1. I recently tried projecting some digital photos using a colour LCD projector. Now, I wasn't expecting the quality of image you get from a photographic slide, but I was extremely dissapointed with the result. Compared to what I saw on my computer screen, the projected image was grainy with a lot of contrast between light and dark parts of the picture.

     

    The pictures were taken with a CP5000 (5 MP), RAW format, so resolution was at a maximum. The projector I used was a Mitsubishi, about 4 years old.

     

    Has anyone had experience in projecting digital images? Is there any way of getting a half decent picture up on the wall?

  2. I'm using a Dell 3200, and I love it.

     

    I would recommend the following:

     

    1. Your projector is an older model. Projector technology and durability has improved enormously in the past 3-4 years, not to mention the size and weight going down.

     

    2. For high-resolution digital images, the projector should have 1024 x 768 resolution or better.

     

    3. Check your screen. The type of screen can make a big difference.

     

    Hope this helps. Good luck!

  3. There are only two types of projectors: LCD and DLP. LCD projectors have poor contrast. I haven't seen one that's suitable for photos. DLP's are made from Texas Instruments display chips using micro mirrors. It's a much better system, and of course more expensive. The consumer versions has come down to around $2k for an 1024x768 projector. The theater version use multiple chips and can cost as much as a house.

  4. What they said.

     

    In addition you should project a color chart or some photo where you know the color - and do a comparison. Does the color look right? On my projector, I had to turn the red WAY down and the green up a bit.

     

    Only getting 1024 x 768 (like ~.75 megapixels) to project sure is a drag when you're shooting with a 5 or 6 megapixel camera...

     

    HTH

    James

  5. There are only two types of projectors: LCD and DLP. LCD projectors have poor contrast. I haven't seen one that's suitable for photos. DLP's are made from Texas Instruments display chips using micro mirrors. It's a much better system, and of course more expensive. The consumer versions has come down to around $2k for an 1024x768 projector. The theater version use multiple chips and can cost as much as a  house.

    DILA projectors aren't bad, either. I have one that is 1366x1024, and it favorably compares to DLP projectors. I sent it to Los Angeles to have it color calibrated for TV/film, and photos look pretty good projected from it!

  6. DILA projectors aren't bad, either. I have one that is 1366x1024, and it favorably compares to DLP projectors.  I sent it to Los Angeles to have it color calibrated for TV/film, and photos look pretty good projected from it!

    I haven't seen one of those used for photos before. How much do they cost?

  7. My Vidikron CRT projector is not too shabby either.

  8. DILA projectors aren't bad, either. I have one that is 1366x1024, and it favorably compares to DLP projectors.  I sent it to Los Angeles to have it color calibrated for TV/film, and photos look pretty good projected from it!

    I haven't seen one of those used for photos before. How much do they cost?

    They are expensive, and heavy. :D I'm not sure what they go for now, but my model probably goes for around $10,000.

  9. Until my last dive trip, I shot color slide film and showed the photos with a Kodak slide projector. Obviously, when I switched to digital, the Kodak was useless. The Dell projector is expensive, but the prices are coming down to the consumer level (hey, people pay $2000+ every day for big-screen TVs).

     

    Dell just came out with a new model DLP projector for under $1200. It's only 800 x 600, but that's not too bad for the price (but I agree, it's inadequate for 5-6 megapixel photos). Keep in mind that it's kind of like printing a photo bigger than the pixel count warrants. If you put your eyeball right on it, it looks fuzzy, but when you stand back at a normal viewing distance, things look a lot better.

     

    I think that digital projectors will be hot items for awhile. The potential market has barely been tapped, and there's a lot of competitors, so I would think that in a year or two, a good projector should be in the $1000 range.

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.