Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

BSoUP meetings

Started by stewsmith ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

BSoUP meetings

6 posts
  1. i have been thinking of going to a BSoUP meeting and was wondering what their meetings consist of.

     

    any info appreciated.

     

    cheers, stew

  2. i have been thinking of going to a BSoUP meeting and was wondering what their meetings consist of.

     

    any info appreciated.

     

    cheers, stew

     

    The normal format is to have a talk, followed by a slideshow of the month's competition entries (on which the attendees vote), then a break followed by another talk. The talks tend to vary in content. The subject is given is advance on the website.

     

    If you are thinking of going then I would wait for a talk (or talks) of particular interest if you are trying any distance.

     

    Tonight is the AGM and Christmas social. So if you fancy meeting all the usual suspects.......

  3. Tried to post this yesterday - but lost connection:

     

    The general format is:

    1) technical talk - 30 minutes.

    2) competition - on a theme - 20 minutes

    3) break - 20 minutes

    4) competition results - 10 minutes

    5) main talk 45-60 mins.

     

    There is further socialising in the bar, both before and afterwards.

     

    For example at the last meeting I spoke - and did both talks (which is unusual - normally it is 2 different speakers). For the first talk I spoke about about the importance of strobe colour temperature in digital photography. Then for the main event I spoke about Nikon's FX versus DX cameras - because at the time of the last meeting I think I was the only person to have shot both the D3 and D700 underwater. I was supposed to give another talk - but changed it at the last minute to something more current. Unfortunately the program of meetings from 2008 has been taken down - so you can't see the range of talks normally offered.

     

    Like any society, it can be hard to get going, where everyone seems to already know each other. But people do try and be friendly. I go whenever I am in the UK and you are welcome to a lift, if I have space. This month is the Christmas Party meeting - so it is more of a social event. And I am overseas.

     

    Alex

  4. There is further socialising in the bar, both before and afterwards.

     

    Alex

     

    Damn !! you never mentioned a bar... Wish i did stills now... :):monkey:

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  5. Like any society, it can be hard to get going, where everyone seems to already know each other. But people do try and be friendly. I go whenever I am in the UK and you are welcome to a lift, if I have space. This month is the Christmas Party meeting - so it is more of a social event. And I am overseas.

     

    Alex

     

    nice one Alex. i am not usually in southampton as i travel all over for work, but if i am going up from southampton a lift would be great. i cant see any harm in getting together with a load of guys and girls that share the same interests as me.

     

    hope your having a good trip, stew

    Edited by stewsmith
  6. PS you dont ride a tandom do you.....

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.