Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Recommendation for online printing companies?

Started by nusspli ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

Recommendation for online printing companies?

12 posts
  1. I am wondering which online photo processing companies people would recommend for making enlargments (11x14 and larger) of underwater images?

     

    Thanks,

     

    Jessica

  2. I've used Adorama. They have a range of paper quality and you can make sure your crops are correct. They will also inform you of the quality you will get on this cool little slider. It reminds you to make sure you have the image set at 300 dpi. You also have the option of having them correct your photos to compensate for the difference between what your computer displays and how they will print.

     

    I just ordered some prints from CVS because I needed them for gifts on Sat. and I procrastinated ordering from Adorama. However, I used Adorama's tools as a benchmark first. I'll let you know how crappy they come out. :)

  3. I have been using Costco, with very nice results. You upload them online, and pick them up in the store. They have excellent printers, but I can't stress enough the importance of calibrating your monitor.

    Edited by kitty
  4. I am wondering which online photo processing companies people would recommend for making enlargments (11x14 and larger) of underwater images?

     

    Thanks,

     

    Jessica

     

    Hi

     

    I used mpix.com and was very pleased with the results, their turn around time was also very good.

  5. mpix.com

     

    not only do they have excellent results, excellent customer service and turn around time, they know how to package a print to ship it.

     

    Joel

  6. I'm curious what others have to say on the topic, but I've been kinda obsessed with color and printing of late ...

     

    In my recent research, I came to the conclusion that images with a lot of the blues we find underwater are best reproduced on Epson inkjets.

     

    Stuff that is way out of gamut for the laser printers that Adorama uses are happily reproduced "accurately" in Epson land.

     

    My intel is by no means definitive ... just what I found as I proofed lots of images using various printer/paper profiles I downloaded from various labs.

     

    Definitely interested in hearing what other folks think/know ...

  7. My Photopipe

     

    I prefer them over MPIX. I printed the same image on different papers. The Fuji Chrystal Archive Pearl was by far the best as chosen by my test panel. I too chose the Pearl. (Matte for B&W of course)

     

    I've done as large as 4 ft. panoramas. The quality is excellent.

     

    The gallery wrap didn't turn out so well. It needs to be the right photo and hung in the right place.

  8. My Photopipe

     

    I prefer them over MPIX. I printed the same image on different papers. The Fuji Chrystal Archive Pearl was by far the best as chosen by my test panel. I too chose the Pearl. (Matte for B&W of course)

     

    I've done as large as 4 ft. panoramas. The quality is excellent.

     

    The gallery wrap didn't turn out so well. It needs to be the right photo and hung in the right place.

     

     

    thanks guys, this is a great thread. I usually make photo books from mypublisher.com but it looks like photopipe gives you more options. Thanks Scott

  9. In the past when I've wanted prints, I've used Pictopia. Been very happy. They have an ICC profile you can download to "preview" the potential output (assumes you have Photoshop or something else that can use ICC profiles and a calibrated monitor).

     

    Mike

  10. I'm curious what others have to say on the topic, but I've been kinda obsessed with color and printing of late ...

     

    In my recent research, I came to the conclusion that images with a lot of the blues we find underwater are best reproduced on Epson inkjets.

     

    Stuff that is way out of gamut for the laser printers that Adorama uses are happily reproduced "accurately" in Epson land.

     

    My intel is by no means definitive ... just what I found as I proofed lots of images using various printer/paper profiles I downloaded from various labs.

     

    Definitely interested in hearing what other folks think/know ...

     

    I've seen the same thing in my own search for a photo printer that can handle some of the blues that comprise some of my Galapagos photos. Sadly I don't have an Epson printer so I've had friends do a few test prints for me. The prints did turn out a bit better than with my Canon printer. None of the online print shops seem to have similar color profiles. Most look worse than my personal Canon printer. Most of my research has been via downloaded color profiles and soft proofing, but my experience has been consistent with my analysis so far.

     

    If anyone know of an online printer with good blue coverage let me know.

  11. thanks guys, this is a great thread. I usually make photo books from mypublisher.com but it looks like photopipe gives you more options. Thanks Scott

    It looks like photopipe is a consolidator, the books are made not by them but by blurb and the gallery wraps are made by Michael Paul. I haven't tried them for pics yet but their service for the canvas has been great.

    Bill

  12. I am wondering which online photo processing companies people would recommend for making enlargments (11x14 and larger) of underwater images?

     

    Thanks,

     

    Jessica

    Hey why don't you try a 12" x 12" deluxe photo book from Smilebooks. I have also tried it for underwater images and I am really happy with the type of clarity I get and the image resolutions they have provided And the quality is awesome. I think you should give it a try.

    Visit: http://www.smilebooks.com/deluxe-photo-book.php

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.