Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

3D animation clip

Started by Jules (Helioxfilm) ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

3D animation clip

10 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    just want to share my very first 3D animation underwater clip... It would need refinements... This short clip teached me how many workhours are in the top 3D films...

     

    The lost corridor

     

    Best,

    Jules

    Edited by Jules (Helioxfilm)
  2. Amazing Jules, breathtaking work. Looks like a great dive!

     

    Thanks for sharing it.

    Steve

  3. Very interesting little film. Would like to know more about what apps you used for the animation...AE? Maya?

    Steve

  4. Hi,

     

    just want to share my very first 3D animation underwater clip... It would need refinements... This short clip teached me how many workhours are in the top 3D films...

     

    The lost corridor

     

    Best,

    Jules

     

     

    Very very cool, enjoyed it alot. Real nice job.

  5. Phenomenal stuff Jules; I couldn't even begin to understand how you do it. I enjoyed your other clips on vimeo as well.

  6. Thanks guys,

     

     

    I appreciate your words very much.

     

    I started to make it in Motion, but Motion lacks many-many important 3D features, such as volumetric lights, cast shadow etc. Without them you can create only a very sterile environment. Also, Motion makes sometimes very bad renders, so after a quite long struggling I left Motion for Cinema 4D. Why Cinema 4D? it has a very nice interface and a relatively short leraning phase (significantly shorter than Maya). I spent a month to learn the basics and a little beyond - animating cameras (I have 5 cameras in the scenes), creating particles, experiencing volumetric lights (the light beams you can see), modelling some stuff (reflexing dome-port, lightheads, frames etc).

     

    The clips lacks many texture refinements, but texturing is another full time job :) I focused on the cameras, creating an illusion that we are under water, in a dark corridor, where the diver finds a special video-exhibition. In fact, the left side is the group playing the music.

     

    At first I wanted to put this clip to my Ships of darkness DVD, but after spending two months with it I did not feel that it reached that stage I envisioned in my mind - so I had to leave it.

     

    But, as I stated, it was a very-very nice and useful excursion to the 3D world. Just to have an insight: I switched on all the features in the clip (especially the so called displacements maps, when the texture defines the surface of a model), and started rendering. After coming home from daily work, my Mac Pro (4x2,66 cores, 8 gig of ram, and a special ATI readeon 3870 HD card) finished rendering 8 (eight) frames of the total 2500 frames :lol:

     

    Thanks,

    Jules

    Edited by Jules (Helioxfilm)
  7. Hi Gyula

     

    Very interesting !!!...well done my friend... looks good.

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  8. Hi,

     

    just want to share my very first 3D animation underwater clip... It would need refinements... This short clip teached me how many workhours are in the top 3D films...

     

    The lost corridor

     

    Best,

    Jules

     

    Great job Jules!

    Very entertaining and interesting to watch.

     

    Seems like You did a lot of job for getting the result we saw. To be honest, I would not have belived it's that complicated and takes quite a lot of time :lol:

    So thanks for sharing the clip and some inside inf.!

     

    Cheers, Scubamoose

  9. Hey Jules,

    Cinema 4D has been around for a long time, maybe I should take a look. For volumetric lights, take a look at those by Noise Industries as plug ins for Motion and Final Cut. I thought they did a very good job and they are inexpensive. Knoll light factory also has some good lighting plug ins and CHV just came out with some that I haven't tested as yet.

    Steve

  10. Great stuff Jules. I played with 3D in After Effects and it is not easy. Nice!

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.