Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

canon powershot g10 in underwater scn mode

Started by hastubbs ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

canon powershot g10 in underwater scn mode

8 posts
  1. Hi all,

     

    i just got a canon g10 with its own housing to attache to my video rig for using when i have finished video. i pretty much only shoot shallow (<50feet) with only ambient light, much of it freediving. has anyone had any experience with using this camera without any external filter in the SCN mode set to underwater?

     

    you can see me @

     

    http://www.oceanlight.com/log/category/skips-trips/

    and www.oceanlight.com/stubbs

     

     

    thanks!

     

    cheers,

    skip

  2. I have the G10.

     

    The Underwater SCN mode is pretty much useless for anything deeper than 4m or 12 feet. Better to use the custom white balance set to the shortcut button (top left above the LCD screen) so can adjust quickly. I have not seen a need for a filter when doing this, even down to 26m or 86ft.

  3. I have the G10.

     

    The Underwater SCN mode is pretty much useless for anything deeper than 4m or 12 feet. Better to use the custom white balance set to the shortcut button (top left above the LCD screen) so can adjust quickly. I have not seen a need for a filter when doing this, even down to 26m or 86ft.

     

    HI,

     

     

    great, thanks, this helps. so you just carry something white to set the WB with?

     

    cheers,

    skip

  4. Yeah, my slate or the sand if it's white/light yellow. You basically need something that will generate an 18% grey scale accurately in the conditions encountered.

  5. Yeah, my slate or the sand if it's white/light yellow. You basically need something that will generate an 18% grey scale accurately in the conditions encountered.

     

    OK, thank you scubajedi!

     

    cheers,

    skip

  6. I have the G10.

     

    The Underwater SCN mode is pretty much useless for anything deeper than 4m or 12 feet. Better to use the custom white balance set to the shortcut button (top left above the LCD screen) so can adjust quickly. I have not seen a need for a filter when doing this, even down to 26m or 86ft.

  7. Hello all,

     

    I just purchased a Canon G10 a week ago. I would like to be able to push the shortcut button once only to WB-in M, Av, or Tv modes-is this possible? I have set the WB shortcut button using the Custom 1 designation. Now when I activate the shortcut button I see in the monitor a prompt that tells me to use the “DISP” button. When I push the "DISP" button the camera will WB, then I press the "FUNC/SET" to exit prompts. I then have the entire monitor dedicated to the subject at hand and can take the picture. These steps were outlined in the owner’s manual (pages 144 & 154). My question is there any way to set the camera in Custom 1 so I can just push the shortcut button and the camera will automatically WB without having to go through the additional steps of pushing the "DISP" and "FUNT/SET" buttons? I have talked to Canon tech and the guy was apologetic but really not too helpful. It is my understanding that the G9 had this capability (shortcut one button WB feature). I say this from reading pasts G9 posts-here at wetpixel-describing this shortcut WB feature. Any help would greatly be appreciated. For me as I freedive only (California Channel Is) and take pictures of pelagic fish the less buttons I have to push the better.

    One other question. I am using a Canon WP-DC28 housing and would like to use a Magic filter. My gut feeling is telling me to attach the filter to the inside of the housing and not to the camera lens proper. This way I can take the camera out of the case and immediately use the camera. I have gone to the Magic filter website for installation instructions but they only address the mounting of the filter in this way by stating "use tacky tape". If anybody has attached the filter material to the inside of the housing how did you do it so the filter was firmly and evenly attached? By this I mean-no spaces between it and the housing so there is no possibilities of distortions and then not have the tape intrude into the picture frame? Remember the G10 has a 28mm wide angle lens.

     

    Thank you in advance for any and all replies.

     

    D

  8. Hi D...

     

    I have the shortcut button of my G10 set to Custom 2, and when I hit the button, it takes a white balance immediately without the need to hit any additional buttons.

     

    This was done via settings.

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.