Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Good and Bad year with a point and shoot!

Started by Mayor ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Good and Bad year with a point and shoot!

8 posts
  1. Let me say I'm in no way and expert but this is some of what I have found out over the last year using a small point and shoot camera in not ideal conditions. I hope it helps someone looking to play around underwater.

     

    Last year my wife picked up a little point and shoot camera (Sony DSC-W80 / MPK-WB / SL960D) for me. I was diving every week and was able to make changes to help the pictures look better each week. The area that I was diving has lots of junk in the water and is very hard to shoot in. I think for the most part if I could get good shots in 20ft of vis 100 ft vis would be easy. Starting with a point and shoot also was good due to other issues that came up plus the size was not to large to really cause issues with my diving.

     

    The Stock Rig

    fullshot.jpg

    backhouse.jpg

    fronthouse.jpg

     

    The first few times with the camera my shots were really bad. I knew I would have to make some kind of change.

    DSC00769.jpg

    DSC00800.jpg

    DSC00797.jpg

    DSC00864.jpg

    Edited by Mayor
  2. The first change that I made was to cover the flash on the camera but still let the optical cable trigger the flash. This was done with some black tape just on the housing itself. The tape was on all year with over 50 plus dives and no issues. This quick change made a big difference in my pictures.

    DSC01155.jpg

    DSC01133.jpg

    DSC00862.jpg

  3. The next thing that helped was replace the plastic base with a longer metal base that moved the flash far away from the camera. I worked with a few different sizes and ended up with one that would let me fold the flash in toward the camera. This kept the rig smaller when dealing with other issues not camera related. When I made this change I really felt like I could bast more flash onto the subject. This photo does not show the tape over the camera flash.

    DSC01655.jpg

    Edited by Mayor
  4. Here are a few that were getting better but too much flash or not enough was become and issue.

    masterdiver.jpg

    DSC01540.jpg

    DSC01365.jpg

  5. After 50 or so dives with the camera this is what I came up with as my better shots. Started to force myself to get close to the subject. So close that it felt wrong. If I had that feeling I knew the shot would be ok. I also learned to work around the limited issues with a point and shoot in less then ideal conditions.

    teckdive3.jpg

    DSC01937.jpg

    recdive11.jpg

    recdive17.jpg

    DSC02063.jpg

    DSC02141.jpg

    DSC01026.jpg

  6. It's also funny that most of my favorite shots are with out using the flash at all.

    DSC02056.jpg

    recdive27.jpg

    tecdive58.jpg

    tecdive61.jpg

    tecdive25.jpg

  7. Really nice how You have shown You'r step by step progress and amazing just how much one can do with a simple P&S camera with some practice.

    Congrats Mayor and thanks for sharing You'r excperience!

     

    Scubamoose

  8. Really nice how You have shown You'r step by step progress and amazing just how much one can do with a simple P&S camera with some practice.

    Congrats Mayor and thanks for sharing You'r excperience!

     

    Scubamoose

     

    Just wanted to add some more information. For this 2009 season I made a few changes that I feel should help. The metal base was replaced with alum one. It was also bent so I could use it as a handle. Holding the camera caused the bolt to get loose all the time. This should help with this issue. I also extended the base form 12in to 16in. This is the max size for my pelcan carry on case. It also let's the flash fold flat to the base which allows the camera to fold up nicely. A clip was added to hold the flash to the base when not in use. This also keeps everything out of the way when dealing with any issues (OOA, free flow, etc comes to mind). The bent handle helps protect the camera when I hook it to my d-ring on the crotch strap. Here are a few shots of the rig. I hope some of you find this useful. One other mod was to put the optical wire in a plastic tube. It seamed to take a bit of abuse over the last year.

     

    UWR2009D.jpg

    UWR2009E.jpg

    UWR2009a.jpg

    UWR2009C.jpg

    UWR2009B.jpg

    Edited by Mayor
Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.