It is my usual question for any editor wanting to use my photos to ask about what kind of paper they use to print the publication, especially ones who claim the images would be used in their environmental issues. These issues tend shock every editor because only a treehugger would ask such a silly question.
Illegal logging for all sorts of reasons have decimated forests in Asia, Africa and South America. Then there is the issue of deforestation causing CO2 emissions (up to 30% of greenhouse gas emissions comes from deforestation). I came to the decision a few years back to not allow my pictures to be published on non-recycled paper. I'm wondering how fellow wetpixel members see supplying images to a non-recycled paper publication, especially for big distributions over 1 million copies like newspaper etc.
PS: Certainly I realize many professionals rely on these publications for a living and I'm not judging them in any way. Often there are no alternatives and for many publications, it's a matter of cost.