- 13Posts
- 13Replies
Read-only discussion
Aquatica D100 housing at B and H
-
-
Holy cow!!!!
That was my response too B)
Pretty good price, I wonder how long it will be before they sell out.
-
Well, I hate to blow my own horn (okay, that's a fib), but I posted the B&H info on June 12!

-
Conceded.
-
It might not sell immediately. I get the impression that the usual pattern when a new DSLR housing comes out is that everyone wants it before it is available - but once the pre-orders have been delivered then they actually sell quite slowly?
Maybe that explains the price cut compared with list?
-
No. This is standard B&H pricing. It is a certain percentage over normal dealer cost, and a very low one I might add. They may make a single opening order with some volume that gets them a discount off of dealer list, but after that they will stock one or two units.
That's why it's tough being an Aquatica dealer. The shop can make more money selling a dozen snorkels or one regulator than a housing at that price. Subtracting freight from Canada from the paltry margin makes it a waste of time.
The only difference is you can't call B&H and get advice on setting up you unit. If someone walks in the shop and orders one. I will inspect the unit and spend an evening with the initial setup and even pool test it.
I'm selling the one unit I've got in inventory at that price (taken) and call it a day.
-
I agree that from a consumer's point of view I think its always better to get UW cameras from people who know them and dive them. Considering the consequences of getting it wrong it is always worth building up a relationship with a dealer who knows their stuff!
-
I don't think Aquatica (and certainly their dealers) are very happy w/ the B and H pricing. But for consumers that know their stuff, that is an incredible price. Literally thousands less than the competition - what a trip.
Cheers
James
-
thousands???
-
Nexus and Seacam housing are >$2,800 US. You can read my comment as "greater than $1,000" or "Almost $2,000" if you need to.
Cheers
James
-
Hate to be so picky, but the Nexus is $2395 at MCD (so buy two). Still, the Aquatica is quite a bargain. Doesn't it come with a port as well?
The Subal is $2900, or roughly double the B&H price.
-
Dangit, caught on a technicality! :-)
Cheers
James
-
Ports are not included, but quite reasonble compared to the competition.