Skip to content

Conservation and the Environment / Archived topic

In Memory Of Manatees Ragtail & Ziggy

Started by seagrant ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

In Memory Of Manatees Ragtail & Ziggy

2 posts
  1. I remember it well, in 1999 and again in 2001 the stories of the manatees Ziggy and Ragtail were all over the news here in Tampa Bay, Florida. Both were popular "adopted" manatees from the conservation organizations, and were well studied by researchers in our area.

     

    While there have been manatee before and after who have tragically endured similar fates, I was so touched by these hand-painted tiles on a recent visit to the Florida Aquarium.

     

    I wrote a bit about it here on my blog

     

    These two tragedies did help get more slow speed zones for boating in shallow manatee areas, but more needs to be done -- as recent mortality figures state. But I must say these tiles are quite heartfelt and touching at the same time. They convey a sense of hope I think. Best, Carol

    Fl_Aquarium_Wall-3.jpg

  2. I remember it well, in 1999 and again in 2001 the stories of the manatees Ziggy and Ragtail were all over the news here in Tampa Bay, Florida. Both were popular "adopted" manatees from the conservation organizations, and were well studied by researchers in our area.

     

    While there have been manatee before and after who have tragically endured similar fates, I was so touched by these hand-painted tiles on a recent visit to the Florida Aquarium.

     

    These two tragedies did help get more slow speed zones for boating in shallow manatee areas, but more needs to be done -- as recent mortality figures state. But I must say these tiles are quite heartfelt and touching at the same time. They convey a sense of hope I think. Best, Carol

     

    The images that you and others have taken, plus these incidents, will continue to help raise awareness. Read the stories from the links in your blog.

    :good: Seems like a little common sense could go a long way to avoid these incidents...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.