Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Exporting Clips from FCP

Started by jonny shaw ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Exporting Clips from FCP

8 posts
  1. Happy New Year to you all,

     

    I have been exporting clips for a client and after getting back from being away over Christmas and it seams that QT is doing something strange. When I export a clip from the timeline using QT conversion the clip is exported with an additional second or two handles either side of the sequence clip. Which is super annoying and driving me nuts!!!

    I must have changed a setting somewhere but I can't find it anywhere. I'm using FCP 5.1.4 not FCP2

     

    Any ideas?

     

    Cheers

     

    Jon

  2. If this is for transfer back to tape, then you have activated pre/post roll. Check preferences.

  3. If this is for transfer back to tape, then you have activated pre/post roll. Check preferences.

     

    No it's just for exporting to a .mov on my desktop. I actually loaded up a couple of different projects to see if that made a difference but it's the same from all the sequences.

    The multi frame trim size is set at 5 frames... would that have anything to do with it?

    Edited by jonny shaw
  4. What's in the handles? Just click off pre/post roll and try.

    Edited by Drew
  5. What's in the handles? Just click off pre/post roll and try.

     

    Thanks Drew, where do I find the pre / post roll?

  6. Why are you using QT Conversion? It might be better to just export as QT self contained movie. This way it will be its own clip and not a reference file.

    Steve

  7. Why are you using QT Conversion? It might be better to just export as QT self contained movie. This way it will be its own clip and not a reference file.

    Steve

     

     

    I like self contained myself (or straight from timeline to Compressor, dpends on project)

    @jonny FYI because the names became similar in FC 5 (just in case) Export -> Quicktime Conversion does not make a reference file, Export -> QuickTime Movie will make a self contained item as long as the check box for "make self contained" is checked. I actually have not used the QuickTime Conversion in a long time, for some reason I like the other workflows.

  8. I like self contained myself (or straight from timeline to Compressor, dpends on project)

    @jonny FYI because the names became similar in FC 5 (just in case) Export -> Quicktime Conversion does not make a reference file, Export -> QuickTime Movie will make a self contained item as long as the check box for "make self contained" is checked. I actually have not used the QuickTime Conversion in a long time, for some reason I like the other workflows.

     

    Yeah I always used to export as self contained movie but I was trying to eliminate a step in the work flow, the end output is either MJPEG B of PhotoJPEG so I would have to export as QT file and then dump into compressor. But I do like the fact that it won't take up FCP while the process is going on and could be quicker overall.

     

    Cheers guys

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.