Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Strange shrimp on nepthya soft coral

Started by Graham Abbott ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Strange shrimp on nepthya soft coral

8 posts
  1. Oops forgot to add the photos...

     

    I came across tiny shrimp on a nepthya soft coral and have still not got a decent crustacean ID book.

     

    Can anyone help? Has anyone else seen one of these, does anyone have a better photo as mine isn't so good!

     

    Thanks

    post-5023-1231840234.jpg

    post-5023-1231840293.jpg

    Edited by Graham Abbott
  2. Hi Graham, ive seen this shrimp in 2005, and we have a lot of photos of it. We found it in Wakatobi. I was never able to get a proper ID. I believe I asked on here, but I cant find the thread right away..

     

    Here's one of the images from our wakatobi gallery:

     

    454205747_5Gibd-XL.jpg

  3. I've not see it (in real life) before. Its cool.

     

    Alex

  4. My shrimp guys, Sammy & Art, have yet to see an actual specimen. One says it's a Dasycaris species, the other is a species of hippolytid. None of the images so far have shown the details they need to see to be sure.

  5. Yeah, that looks like the one! We'll have plenty of time to go in search of other unusual critters soon hey! I take it you've seen the other one that lives in the Xenia?

    Thanks

    Graham

     

    Hi Graham, ive seen this shrimp in 2005, and we have a lot of photos of it. We found it in Wakatobi. I was never able to get a proper ID. I believe I asked on here, but I cant find the thread right away..

     

    Here's one of the images from our wakatobi gallery:

     

    454205747_5Gibd-XL.jpg

  6. Yup. Sammy thinks there's likely to be a whole suite of species hiding under the name Hippolyte commensalis.

  7. Leslie, Thanks for the update on this! Please see the new topic about a few other shrimps I haven't got ID's on.

     

     

     

    Yup. Sammy thinks there's likely to be a whole suite of species hiding under the name Hippolyte commensalis.
AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.