Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Should I make progressive dvds from interlaced

Started by wolfeeldiver ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Should I make progressive dvds from interlaced

4 posts
  1. I live in the land of NTSC, and shoot my video on a little Sony HC7 consumer camera, in 1140x1080 60i format. I plan to burn blu-ray dvds soon, and display on a newer High Def television display.

    My goal is to make the best quality "home-made" Blu-Ray possible.

    My question is; should I render files for my DVD project as the original 60i interlaced format? or should I convert to 24p? I have many choices in my software when rendering the material. ie. 1440x1080 60i vs 1440x1080 24p?

    What will result in the best end product?

  2. Mike, I would leave it at 1440 x 1080 60i and not convert it. The conversion would degrade the quality. 24p is generally for a "film-look" and you should probably only convert to that if you have 60i material that you're trying to fit into a 24p project based on 24p source material.

  3. All LCD/Plasma HD TVs now do deinterlacing if the material is interlaced. That doesn't matter much anymore. 24p has a bit of a strobic effect in faster motion. 60i is smoother. Do a search on 24p vs 60i on google and you'll find a plethora of information to make your decision.

  4. Thank you gentlemen for your input. It is much appreciated, and helps.

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.