Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Conversion Lens Compatibility with PT010

Started by brucev ·

  • 1Posts
  • 1Replies

Read-only discussion

Conversion Lens Compatibility with PT010

1 posts
  1. Hi -

     

    I am a newbie to digital photography, preparing for my first digital dive trip (Bonaire in August). I have used an MX10 for about 10 years, and have a full collection of lenses (20 mm WA, close up lens, and macro lens). I have an OLY 3040 I have used topside for about a year, and recently purchased a PT010 housing and Ike DS 50 strobe (w/ttl controller). Just messing around in my house, I had the 3040 in the housing, and held the MX10 wide angle lens up to housing window and shot a few pictures (natural light indoors). The camera could achieve a sharp focus, and had pretty uniform illumination across the entire field (no obvious vignetting), and acceptable distortion in the corners. I also know that the Sea and Sea 3000 (3mp camera) uses the MX10 lenses - of course, the housing/camera is designed to be compatible with these lenses.

     

    OK, enough blathering - sea and sea makes a conversion lens adapter ring for the PT010 that converts from the housing female threads to the MXII bayonet connector, so MX II lenses can be used with the housing. First question - does anyone know if the bayonet connector is the same on an MX10 as an MXII (is this a standard connector, or are they unique to a given camera body)?

     

    If they are the same (or even close - I have access to a mill and lathe at work where I can do some modifications to diameter/thickness of the adapter), is there any reason this optical setup would not work OK with the 3040? I understand that I may get some vignetting and/or distortion since the optical systems/lens spacing are not specifically designed for this combo, but my primitive tests seem to have acceptable performance. Any comments on whether or not I am wasting my time and $50 bucks for the adapter?

     

    I know I am being cheap, but I have been generally happy with the results I can achieve with the MX10, even with its strobe and WA limitations. If I can get the same types/quality of shots with the digital advantage of instant feedback, I will be very happy (way too many pictures missed because I did something dumb and didn't find out until back home and the roll is empty, or all pictures blue because the strobe wasn't set up properly). I view the digital setup I currently have as a starter/training system that I don't won't to sink tons of money into (but still want lots of great pictures!!)- if I like digital, I will probably upgrade to 5050 or similar capability next year, and gradually build up strobes/lenses for whatever that system turns into. Thanks for any help/advice.

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.